We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

I have looked at both the Majestic Hotel and the Salute hotel on various websites (majesticsalutehotel.com)and even though the Salute is only two stars, it seems to have nicer looking and bigger rooms. Can anyone advise which hotel is the nicest. Have never stayed at a two star hotel. Are they ok?

hanoi
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Majestic salute hotel is 3 stars hotel and located in the old quarter. a nice hotel.

halongbayjunk

Hanoi
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Majestic Salute is the nicer. Because it' bigger and near the centre than Majestic. Also good place for shopping.

Cheers, Thu.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
686 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Stayed at the Salute 2 years ago. Rooms were excellent for 2 star Staff friendly and helpful ,Breakfast basic coffee Yoghurt eggs fruit and bread but I have heard eggs are now off the menu, Location in the middle of shoe street fantastic shopping. Going back in Oct,

California
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

This is my own opinion, OK: I don't get paid by anyone or hotel.

I was going to book the Majestic Salute but my sister who lives in Hanoi went ahead and book me another hotel ( Hoa Binh palace) for half the price. I wasn't happy at first but changed my mind after I stay there. Then last night ( on Sunday) we strolled along the weekly night market on Hang Dao which leads to Hang Duong where the Majestic Salute is located. I looked inside the hotel and saw a very impressive lobby. I went inside and asked for the room rate. they gave me a published rate of 89/night for a city view ( haha looking down the rooftops on Hang Duong) saying that is a better view. they took me to the room : it was a very small one, with an OK looking bathroom. For 89 dollars ( even if you book a discounted rate through travel agents), it is not worth it.

Nothing compared to the one I am staying in. I am truly honest. They give you free internet where you can stay there forever and ever, serving you ice tea ( no charge). don't even know how many star ( 3?).

I hope I don't sound like Jason's crew haha

florida & QC
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Mitton,

I have to agree with you on this one, M.Salut. Like you, i was walking around and bumped into it, needed a rest. The lobby is large, the elevator is tiny, the room is small, old bathroom. Not worth the price, agent price probaby ~ 60-70US

Are you doing hotel shopping like me ?(*~*). I saw many Australians staying there, of course they don't know any better. Or they made a mistake. Everyone has to learn somewhere....if they fail to find Plover in the 1st place.....

Readers, beware of posters from VN. They all tout that how nice, beautiful (even food), fabulous, large, etc.... that's to their standards and incentive. They keep pushing until they get kicked out of this forum.

Tips: spend 4 months reading TA before the trip, read , read , look at the poster's ID, location, # of posts, think, think, so easy to tell they are experienced travellers, or travel agents, or the Jason's hyper.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Hi Book,

Of recent times, there have been a couple of posts that have made be ashamed to be Australian! The dialogue is not even Australian!

I am tempted to post 3 or 4 questions that "only an Australian" can answer!

I am tempted , but I won't!----I agree with the caution you suggest!--100%!

Hey, Australians are good travellers!!! We "convicts" sent here to crack rocks in 1788 love to get away occassionally!

plover

Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Mitton, book, plover et al.

I'm looking at the Pacific hotel ($42 for deluxe -- 2 king beds) vs. Hoa Binh (price unknown as I'm still waiting for their email reply) vs. Quoc Hoa. What's your recommendation between these or any other recommendations as I'm trying to stay around $40-50/night (I need 2 rooms so trying to control cost).

Thanks.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Hi texas,

I don't know other 2 hotels you mention ,but I have stayed at Pacific, 30 Cua Nam Street at least 8 times!

Top Hotel, great sevice---recommended --lovely staff!

I posted my contact there---Ms Nghia---email ( to her) at hotel direct on other thread!

"cathaic.hn.vnn.vn"--website---www.pacifichotels.com.vn"----they give another email address on this website which covers Pacific, Pacific Star and Pacific Prince---As I said on other post , the "Prince "has just had an upgrade and might be worth a look!----I go to VN regularly and was there in Hanoi in May---back in November and will stay there!

They give me perhaps a better deal( $35USD) but that is only because I remain loyal to this hotel!---and I have recommended it to many Australian friends!

I emphasize the room numbers ---ie 201,301,401 etc( 7 stories) these have balconies, free internet, computer in your room and the rooms are "Big"

I don't know how many of you there are but if you had 2 adults and 2 younger children you could fit in one room at a pinch!

The hotel has a suite---try asking Ms Nghia!

Hope that helps--ask if you want more---there are huge number of quality 2-3 star in Hanoi!

This one , I have great personal experience with---will not stay anywhere else in future ---I can only comment on personal experience!

Good luck!--happy travelling

plover

florida & QC
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

texan,

Quoc Hoa is on Bat Dat, decent hotel, excellent location in Old Quarter. It's right across the nasty Lucky Star hotel. Shop around for good rate at Quoc Hoa. I don't think < 50US bc of good location.

The plover's best kept secret hotels are great. I don't have a map with me but my feeling they are not in walking distance to Old Quarter, experiences.. they are for LT travellers, experienced travellers.

First timers, Viet kieu, short term stay 2-4 days, usually like Old Quarter to eat at street vendors.

After a few days, best to stay outside Old Quarter, cheaper -- still get VN food. This is VN, food everywhere.

Another good hotel, Flower hotel for 30US, of course NOT in Old town but hop on a motor bike there in 5 min, agree the price of only 1 way in advance, not a whole day bc you have to pay surcharge for the boy waiting for you.

First timers, non-Viet kieu, can't understand local language, don't know what inside the banana leaves, can't eat at food stalls, staying near Old town just to do shopping, boring ???? bargain with merchants perhaps is fun ??? Pas moi.

Plover, thanks as always. Je t'adore.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Majestic Salute Hotel or Salute Hotel

Hi Book( my little chinese chicken)!!,

The Pacific group are closer to the lake than Galaxy ---Pacific Star is is Hang Bong street ---500 metres from lake and My favourite, Pacific is max 1 klm ---easy walk 10 minutes THROUGH old quarter----GET a map!!!---the website I posted has a map showing the 3 hotels!

The latter is also an easy walk to station and to an excellent western market, 8 minutes walk to war museum, 15 minute to Uncle Ho's resting place---and if you are really lazy , a taxi costs 20,000VND to the lake---and I am RIGHT in thick of local people---isn't that surprising coming from me!

The Army,Zepher, Guoman, HiltonOpera house are further away marginally !

The other advantage being on perimeter of Old Quarter is noise shuts down early!---and the Food is not "orchestrated" to keep tourists happy!

Its 5am in Singapore--home tomorrow to a 3 degree centigrade morning!---that will be a shock!

Je t'adore

plover