We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

Jindabyne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

Trying to plan a family holiday 2 adults 2 kids (13 & 14 year old) need some help with everything really!!!! Travelling sometime around 20th Sept until 6th October 2013,with maybe a quick stop over (1or 2 days) in Singapore on the way, really want to see the whole country but realise in this short time maybe we should concentrate on either the North or South.Any suggestions??? Would really like to include Halong Bay, is this a good time of year? Would like combination of adventure with a little relaxation in there as well. which would be better an organised tour or try and book and organise everything ourselves.?

Thank you, I need all the help I can get right now.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

There are some topic discussing about this some days ago. Please look back and find a suitable itinerary for your family. Popular destinations: Ha Noi (1 night), Ha Long Bay (1 night), Sapa, Hoi An, Sai Gon and Mekong Delta. These 6 basic places can be covered in a 14-16 day trip.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

If you plan to spend a few days in Singapore as well then you only have 12 days for Vietnam and that is not enough time to see the whole country. I would suggest to visit The North and South this time and you should come back another trip for the central.

I would suggest as below:

Day 1: arrive Hanoi

Day 2: Hanoi city tour

Day 3: Hanoi- Halong

Day 4: Halong

Day 5: Ha Long -Ninh Binh

Day 6: Ninh Binh- Mai Chau

Day7 : Mai Chau- Hanoi

Day 8: Hanoi Fly to Saigon

Day 9: Saigon City tour Vespa

Day 10: Saigon- Ben Tre Mekong Delta

Day 11: Ben Tre- Can Tho

Day 12: Can Tho- Saigon

Day 13 : Saigon fly to Singapore .

Cheers

Nhung

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

Add the suggestion of Nhung,

You can either choose Ninh Binh, Mai chau or Sapa. And quite the Middle of Country (Da Nang, and Hoi An) with nice beaches and ancient town you will be regret. Just IMO. I think that you should balance the beach time and the land time :D.

Cheer

TunTravel

4. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:07 pm, May 23, 2013
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

September is an excellent time to visit Halong Bay. Water is still warm enough for a swim, and lounging on a deckchair on top of the boat is pure bliss. Plus you have some of the world's best scenery passing by. As others have said, you don't have much time. Bur rather than spend it in an outrageous race to cram in as much as possible, Just slow down a bit and absorb some of the wonderful experiences the country has to offer. Remember that many posters here, (particularly on this thread) have a vested interest in keeping you moving at an unrealistic pace that will soon have you screaming for a real holiday.

Since Halong Bay interests you, it's probably a good idea to base yourself mainly in the North this time round. There's Sapa or a similar nearby alternative that's certainly worth a bit of time. Nihn Bihn just a bit south of Hanoi is a great place for a day or two.

From there, either pick central or south Vietnam. Central is prone to flooding around September, but Hue and Hoi An are worth it. In the south you have the Mekong delta and river system to explore: fantastic, but at that time hot and steamy. So it's really up to you. But don't get corralled into a nightmare trip with too many destinations and not enough time like some posters here just love to suggest.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

September/October is a great time of the year for the north and Halong Bay. I would recommend Sapa, especially in early September. The rice terraces will be a golden color and absolutely magical. Ninh Binh is also a good suggestion, and cycling around Ninh Binh is one of my favorite things to do in Vietnam. I would recommend you skip Mai Chau-- this area has gotten so overly tousisty that there is very little that is authentic about the minority villages and most of the products they sell they do not make but get from others. Here is a two week itinerary for the north: …psu.edu/rxj9/Hanoi/2_Week_Itinerary.html

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

If you'd like combination of adventure with a little relaxation, please choose Halong tour (sightseeing, swimming, kayaking,...), Sapa treeking tour or Perfume Pagoda visit caves, ...

Jindabyne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

Thank you everyone your suggestions have been helpful, much appreciated.

Warkworth, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

We just took our 15yr old to Vietnam for a month. By the end of 3 weeks full on travelling she was worn out, so I would recommend that you plan in a relaxation or rest day every so often to get the most out of your teens.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip to Vietnam Sept/Oct 2013

I think so you have a lot of time to discovery Hanoi, Vietnam after you have some day traveling in Singapore. I would like to recommend for you some places you should travel in Vietnam.

Day 1: Hanoi Arrival ( overnight in Hanoi Victory Hotel )

Day 2: Hanoi city tour and Water Puppet show. ( overnight in Hanoi Victory Hotel )

Day 3: Hanoi - Halong bay tour ( Overnight in Cruise )

Day 4: Halong bay - Cat Ba island ( overnight in hotel )

Day 5: Halong bay - Hanoi ( overnight in Hanoi Victory Hotel )

Day 6: Hanoi - Hoa Lu Tam Coc and Departure time to Sapa

Day 7: Sapa Trekking ( overnight Hotel in Sapa)

Day 8 : Sapa - Hanoi fly Danang city and Hoi An ( overnight in Hoi An )

Day 9 : HOi An - Hue ( overnight Hotel in Hue )

Day 10 : Hue tour ( overnight Hotel in Hue )

Day 11 : Hue - Sai Gon ( overnight Hotel in Sai Gon )

Day 12: Mekong tour

Day 13 : Sai Gon - Singapore departure time.

Hopefully, you will have a great trip in Vietnam.