We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

We (2 adults 3 kids 12,10,8) are reaching the Hanoi airport at 8.30 am from Siam Reap in first week of July.

Ideally I would like to go straight to the cruise.

Is this possible - do I have the time to reach the cruise on time if I arrange a private car?

I am debating 1 night on cruise vs 2 nights or cruise. So any suggestions welcome.

Also, can you please tell me what time the cruise ends and what time we reach back to Hanoi?

From my research it seems like the cruise ends at 3.00 p.m, so we reach Hanoi at 6.00 p.m

but I am not sure if that is correct.

Thanks,

Asmairf

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

"Ideally I would like to go straight to the cruise. Is this possible - do I have the time to reach the cruise on time if I arrange a private car?"

Not really asmairf. Even supposing your flight from Siem Reap lands on time, you will need at least 30 minutes to disembark, go through immigration and pick up your luggage. The drive to Halong Bay takes a minimum of 3 hours without a stop, and you will certainly need at least a toilet break on the way - it's a long, far from smooth ride. As most cruises leave the wharf at 12.30 to 1 pm you have little chance of making it on time, and especially if there are hold-ups on the journey due to road accidents.

As for whether to spend 1 or 2 nights on the bay, that really is a matter of personal preference. For me 1 night is enough because I'm not keen on being tied into time-specific, regimented activities, but others feel completely differently wouldn't contemplate anything less than 2 nights.

Most cruises end at somewhere between 12 noon and 1 pm, arriving back in Hanoi at 4-5 pm, again depending on the traffic and one or two other factors.

Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

The transfer is quite tiring, you should spend one night in Hanoi and go to Halong by bus service offered by the boat. For me, 2 days 1 night is enough. With 3 day cruise, most boats will come back to the harbor to welcome new guests on the second day so a bit inconvenient.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

You won't have time to go straight from the airport to the cruise as they all run on a tight schedule so book it for the next day.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

We wished we'd had a 2 night cruise, depends what boat your decide on and what they offer. Our kayaking was VERY rushed and we would have liked longer. Most definately spend a night in Hanoi before heading for the Bay.

5. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:10 am, May 06, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

You should stay in Hanoi on the 1st night and book Halong Bay tour the day after. from hanoi to halong Bay is around 4 hours by car. check in time on cruise is around 12.00 noon so it is not enough time to go there on day 1 except you book private tour.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

We had a car and driver to take us to Halong Bay and I am so glad we did as some of the bus driver's I saw are suicide jockeys -- on a tight time schedule and seem to me to take unnecessary risks-- our driver described them as 'flying coffins'

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
572 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

The bus pick up to Ha Long is around 8AM so no it's not worth it. I would stay one day in Hanoi and relax before heading out to Ha long. You still have to unpack and at least relax a bit so why not stay in Hanoi and check out the city for a day? Everything close at 12AM in Hanoi anyways so you won't be out late. The ride to Ha Long is also a long 4 hours ride as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

It is possible to catch up the cruise of you take a private car to pick you up at the airport then go straight to Halong bay, non-stop at the middle way. You will arrival in Halong around 12.30. (It should be 12.30, if later, you have to pay extra for a tender to transfer you to the cruise ).But normally, it is enough time.

The trip end at around 11.30 am and you will arrival in Hanoi at 16 30- 17.00.

Have a good trip in Halong.

10. Re: halong cruise on same day as arrival or next day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 08, 2014