We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Tout Pickpocket

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Street Tout Pickpocket

A general warning to others about Hanoi. Watch out for the annoying street touts. On the last day of a recent stay I was robbed by a pickpocket outside the big main market. He approached me posing as a postcard/map tout, then bumped into me after I said "no thank you." He used a map to hide his hand as he reached into my side pocket and stole an expensive small camera I had just been taking photos with. I only discovered my camera missing a little later. Guard your belongings at all times.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Street Tout Pickpocket

"And, put on some New York attitude!"

Exactly what you should not do in this part of the world!

You are in far more danger of being robbed, murdered, carjacked or generally assaulted in the USA than in the streets of Vietnam, and that attitude will make the trip far from pleasant.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Street Tout Pickpocket

Daawgon is absolutely spot on.

A New York attitude (or its equivalent from any major Western metropolis) is not only completely at odds with the way difficult situations are resolved in Vietnam, but if it is carried with you at all times it will also alienate you from and diminish your experience of the country's most memorable and endearing asset as far as short-term visitors are concerned: its people.

NJ
Level Contributor
143 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Street Tout Pickpocket

I appreciate the recommendation about the New York attitude. I have to admit that reading these forums has gotten my defensive side up - I'm really quite concerned that we're going to get ripped-off, pickpocketed, etc. What I meant by NY attitude is to walk confidently, don't act as if you are scared and intimidated, but be on the alert. I did not mean to be a pushy obnoxious tourist. I guess everyone has different ideas of what NY attitude means. (I'm from upstate NY, not NYC. There's a difference. )

24. Re: Street Tout Pickpocket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 22, 2014