We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

I am at the early stage of planning our trip. We only have a few days in Vietnam and will likely return some other time for more in-depth exploration.

We wish to go to Halong Bay while in Hanoi. Is it ok to do as a day trip or should we assume that we should spend the night there? The next day we need to be in Hanoi to catch a flight to China.

Thanks to all.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

Don't scrimp here Jean-Pierre. Or you may end up remembering Halong Bay for all the wrong reasons. You've rightfully decided that a day trip isn't worth it (it isn't). Booking a cheap cruise also isn't worth it. Go with a reputable company that comes highly recommended here on TA, and you won't regret that decision for a second.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

I booked mine by emailing my Hotel in Hanoi to book it for me and I was very happy with it - it was very cheap so you don't have to pay a lot to get a good tour.

13. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:05 am, April 17, 2013
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

Leaving for Hanoi tomorrow so have to make a decision on this.

I am not poor but having paid $15 to $50 per night for very good hotels on this trip, I got used to it. So $500 sounds like a lot. Was going to do the two-day tour but just figured out that it means being without internet for too long for my girlfriend for her work.

So it seems I am back for the one-day quick tour. Will figure this out with my hotel. Weather forecast looks so-so in any case.

Edited: 8:54 am, April 26, 2013
Perth
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

We did a one day trip to Ha Long Bay with Wendy Woo Tours, cost was $70 aud. each for three people in a private car with driver and guide, . picked us up at 07:30 and dropped us back at our hotel @ 19:30 pm. Long day and long trip but worth it. I think we saw most of what there was to see but admittedly it was a rush and exhausting. The only disappointing thing was the compulsory happy room stops at locations that tried to sell souveniers at inflated prices. The tour included a lovely seafood lunch on the boat and there were only the three of us on board. I would recommend going even if you only have one day to fit it in as Halong Bay is Beautiful.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

Thanks for the input John.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

We booked for 2day 1 night but half way, we were informed that there was a night storm (happens around 5 times a year) and all cruise boats are not allowed to be mooring outside due to danger. So watch out for stormy weather. The travel to and fro were like 7 hours which are quite tiring but unforeseen.

But in the end they offered to charge for a daily tour US$45 per person which is not bad since I paid US$135 per person and got refunded in my hotel. All these they did were quite honest and totally unforeseen.

I was told by fellow travellers you can get it for US$100 if you shop around. One even got the same 2D/1N for US$92 with a local agent he knows. We still went to a cave and the kayaking in the fishing village was fantastic and don't miss it. We also watched the sun setting as we dock back in the harbour but arrived in Hanoi at 11;30 pm.

So for US$42 for a day trip charge with lunch and dinner thrown in, it wasn't bad. what we missed was swimming somewhere in the bay, squid fishing at night and an early dawn ride among some islands and staying aboard the boat.

Hanoi, Vietnam
6 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

Day trip is possible. however, with my experience you should take 2 days trip it is more wonderful than

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

Just back from visit to Hanoi including one night -two day visit to Halong Bay on board one of the boats.. If we were to do it again we would have done the day trip from Hanoi. Yes it is a long day but a few hours on the Bay IMO is all you really need to appreciate the beauty of the area. Spoke to some people at our hotel who did the day trip and really enjoyed it. Enjoy your time in Vn...a beautiful and fun place to visit.

20. Re: Day trip or overnight in Halong bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 02, 2014