We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Changer

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Money Changer

Hi,

Would appreciate if anyone could provide me with tel number for money changer in Old Quarter. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Changer

Why, can your hotel not help you?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,647 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Changer

Unless you speak Vietnamese, you are likely to have a hard time if you just phone them. Why not actually go there?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Changer

You need to go to the shops. The best places are on Ha Trung street or you can also go to Kim Linh on 67 Hang Bac. Go in and go up stair to 2nd floor.

Edited: 11:12 am, February 16, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Changer

Some hotels told me that Ringgit Malaysia is not very popular in hanoi and therefore it's not easy to change into VNd. But some hotels said otherwise. So, the best is to get in touch with a money changer. If anyone could give me the telephone number, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Changer

Not very helpful advice on a Sunday but what about the ANZ bank tomorrow if you have no luck?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Changer

There's also the problem - far more prevalent in Hanoi then elsewhere - that since the government's foreign exchange clamp-down a lot of the informal (gold shops and the like) and semi-formal currency exchanges simply refuse to deal with foreigners.

I've been in the situation where I've received a definite no, then in front the no-sayer, handed my foreign notes to a Vietnamese friend, walked outside and waited but a few minutes until he or she joined me with the exchange duly completed.

Really YinCheras, it's so much easier either to exchange your currency in a bank or use your debit card in an ATM. I certainly prefer the latter.

Hanoi, Vietnam
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Changer

You can simply ask the hotel receptionists for help, or change in a bank but as far as we know, the rate offered by the bank is often not as good as others. Visa debit card will not work sometimes, for examples, you want to buy stuff along streets, try street food. Cash in Vietnam Dong is still the most preferred. You can exchange money at Quoc Trinh Gold shop in the Old Quarter (near Hang Da market), the telephone is: (84-4) 38 268 856, but we are not sure they will pick up the phone all the time because of being busy with a lot customers. Quoc Trinh offers very good rate.

HA NOI
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Changer

It will be best if you go directly to the bank. They will give you the best exchange rate and ensure the safe for you as well.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Changer

best way is go directly to the shops in Ha trung str is typical place to change money.

10. Re: Money Changer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 20, 2014