We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

We are planning a family holiday in April, flying in an out of Hanoi. We will also spend a few days in Hoi An.We have 2 tweenage boys probably not too interested in shopping and culture and spending too much time in transit between places. Having done some research, I'm considering Halong or/Cat Ba (rock climbing), Sapa or Mai Chau. Are there any (authentic) ruins and also wildlife preserves that are accessible from Hanoi without too much driving on bad roads?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

I've just returned with my two teenage kids. My son loved crossing the roads the best. He thought that was mint. They enjoyed Just walking the streets of the Old Quarter. We are a very active family - so enjoyed Sapa and Halong BAy (especially swimming, kayaking and the beach). But some less active teenagers may not enjoy those things.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

How long did you have in Sapa and Halong Bay each? I would like to do both but only have about 5 free days between Hanoi and Hoi An. May have to choose one or the other.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

We spent a full day in Hanoi and then took overnight train to Sapa, not the greatest sleep but be sure to book four berth sleeper cabin. We then had two days and one night in Sapa. A good amount of time, no longer needed. So stayed in Sapa on night and the next night were on overnight train back to Hanoi. We arrived back in Hanoi at around 5am, went into old quarter for breakfast. And were then picked up at 8am to travel to Halong. We spent 3 days and 2 nights on Halong Bay.

after Halong we went straight to airport and flew out on evening flight to Hue.

So basically . So if you have 5 days between Hanoi and Hoi an that would work

night train to Sapa

Day 1 in Sapa

Day 2 in Sapa and night train back

Day 3 to Halong and cruising Halong

Day 4 crusing Halong

Day 5 back from Halong and to airport for trip to Hoi An.

I recommend indochina junk, dragons pearl on halong bay. But im sure there are other great companies. This was kids highlight.

Hanoi
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

night train to Sapa

Day 1 in Sapa

Day 2 in Sapa and night train back

Day 3 to Halong and cruising Halong

Day 4 crusing Halong

Day 5 back from Halong and to airport for trip to Hoi An.

This itinerary bellow seem to be perfect for this trip.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

Exotissimo tourism was developing an urban biking adventure that may appeal. You start by going over the Long Bien pedestrian bridge and to an island in the middle of the river and see some lovely non-urban scenery along the way. A few decades past his teens, but on a recent visit my husband really enjoyed it.

6. Re: Things to do around Hanoi with 2 boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 26, 2014