We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Hotel

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Hotel

Was thinking of staying at the Melia hotel in Hanoi In August was wondering if this hotel was OK & also if it is in a good location near to Old Quater would a week be too long to stay in Hanoi as we are planning to also stay week in Hoi An, staying at Life Heritage Resort, would welcome any feed back on these hotels, thanks

Gerry

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Hotel

The Melia is not in the old quarter but about a 10 min walk away. As you will be here in August I would recommend the Malia as it has a lovely pool-- the heat and humidity will have you really appreciating the refreshing dip after sightseeing. There is no nice pool in the old quarter.

Does the week in Hanoi include a trip to Halong Bay? Otherwise I do think its too long for August. The joy of Hanoi is talking ambling walks and discovering the city's hidden charms. But with the oppressive heat and humidity your desire to walk a lot is going to be quite limited. Are you planning on going to Sapa- August is a good time for visiting there.

I stayed at the Life heritage for a week last August in Hoi An and loved it. Upgrade to a river view room, its worth it. Between walking around Hoi An early or late when its cooler, sitting on the veranda of the room and watching the river view, or lounging by the pool, it was a great week. I usually stay at the Palm Garden on the beach, which I love, but the promotion offer from Life Heritage was too good to pass up and it was nice to experience something else.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Hotel

Hi,

Melia is more popular with corporate travelers. Sofitel Legend Metropole & Hotel de l'Opera are closer to the Old Quarter & just few steps to Hoan Kiem Lake. August is very hot, so if you can afford, select a hotel with a pool. TA has a hotel category: hotels with pool, very easy to browse a good one.

And yes, one week is perfect to dig deeper into the place, its food & people. Do not miss Halong Bay anw.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,771 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Hotel

We stayed for almost a week at the Melia (although it was about six year's ago)

It is a really beautiful hotel - staff are fantastic and very professional (as you would expect from this chain)

They have a lovely lobby (huge) where you can sit and either eat (food is good) and listen to a pianist - nice shops in the lobby too and a great business centre which we used to post stuff home to melbourne.

It is at least a ten minute walk to the Lake -and even further to walk right into the middle of the busy part of the Old Quarter - and you must take into consideration you will be there in August and it is beyond belief just how hot it is then.

we did find the walk a little too much to do back and forth all day and caught very inexpensive taxis often. The area is beautiful- it is in the French Quarter and roads and streets are wide.

Often when we are in Hanoi, we will go have a drink and sit down in the Lobby just to take a well earned break as we are always there mid-year when it is very very hot

Edited: 2:09 am, January 22, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,771 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Hotel

my review here from 2006

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293924-d…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Hotel

Hi Tecalli

Thanks for reply, out of Palm Garden Resort & Life heritage which would you recomend was the better.

And was thinking of a day trip to Halong bay from Hanoi

Thanks

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Hotel

As others have said, it's a business hotel. A friend of mine often stays there, so I've seen quite a bit of it. My impression - rather stuffy, but the girls at the door are sure pretty in their ao dai's. Sunday brunch there was going for $45. a plate!

I pay considerably less than their room rate at a much friendlier/nicer place up in the Old Quarter - the Art Hotel

Edited: 7:10 pm, January 25, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Hotel

Thanks daawgon

Will look at Art hotel now getting so confused as to where to stay we have never been to Vietnam before, just want to find best hotel which is near to Old Quater

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Hotel

Gerry, its really hard to compare Palm Gardens and Life heritage because they are so different in the main attraction.

PALM GARDENS- The main advantage is its right on the beach. Steps from your room your toes are in the sand and you can walk for miles down the beach.My favorite rooms are on the second floor with the large terraces offering superb views of the beach. The disadvantage is its outside of town so you have to get a shuttle to Hoi An or some other form of transport. They also have a wonderful large pool.

LIFE HERITAGE- the advantage is that you are right in town. Steps outside the hotel gate and the life of Hoi An is right there. The disadvantage is you are far from the beach.

If what i wanted was a beach holiday with a few excursions into town for dinner and shopping I would choose Palm Gardens. If what I wanted was to mainly discover Hoi An, have easy access to the town, go to the market early in the morning for picture taking, etc., then I would choose Life Heritage.

A day trip to Halong Bay is a very bad idea. Its a 4 hour car ride there and a 4 hour car ride back, giving you very limited time out on the bay. Definitely not enough time to get out of port and the shipping channels into the more scenic areas of the bay. Go for an overnight on a junk, or even better, a 3 day/2 night trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Hotel

Tecalli

Thanks for helping me make up my mind we will go to Life Heritage as it is near to everything,we are'nt bothered about being near to the beach.so that is one problem solved

Gerry

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Hotel

Either one is a good choice, but I am sure you will love the Life Heritage-- beautiful hotel, impeccable service. They offer a sunset cruise on the river with canapes and drinks-- very relaxing. Their spa treatments are also great.