We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Hi guys. I can get some reasonably priced Air Asia flights via KL in Sept for myself, hubby and two teen boys. We usually like to explore Thailand but after three years we would like to change it up a bit and explore more of the world. I don't have a lot of time to act so could I please get an idea of the best places to visit and stay over 12 nights so I can check out hotel prices in the areas so the whole package looks enticing to my better half. We usually love a pool and to be able to buy drinks and have breakfast included. Hoping this speedy request isn't too much to ask. Thanks in advance x

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Pools are extremely hard to come by in Hanoi, and I'm sure you'll want to stay in the famous Old Quarter? There are hotels with pools, but usually the 5* variety and somewhat off the beaten path.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Thanks Daawgon is that usually the case in all of the northern area?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Can you get cheap tickets to Saigon? There are some reasonable price Hotels there with pool.

Two hours from Saigon is Mekong Delta - Oasis Hotel in Ben Tre has a pool and is about $30 a night.

From Saigon you are only an overnight train trip to Nha Trang with reasonable beach and some ok Hotels also with pool.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Yes I could but I thought the northern part of Vietnam would be a better base? Pool not a necessity but nice to sit around after a big day sightseeing. To be honest we watched comedian Ahn Dohs Vietnam special last year and put it in the memory banks that all the places starting with H were the good ones! Am I wrong?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Or should I make our way down and fly from HCMC back to KL, is that doable or should I just focus on the North. We have travelled from Chiangmai to Bangkok on the sleeper train and loved it, so train is an option we are happy to do. So confused.....

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

With 12 nights the only way you could do from Hanoi to HCMC is flying - the train trip is too long, and some of the legs the trains are not a good standard. So maybe best concentrate on the North if those are the areas that you liked the look of - I saw that series also and I have never been to Ninh Binh but it looked appealing. So you could do Sapa and Ninh Binh and Halong Bay and Hanoi.

If you went North to South you could do Hanoi and Halong Bay, then overnight train to Danang then 1 hour taxi ride to Hoi An which is a wonderful place. Then fly to Ho Chi Minh City and also do a night in the Mekong Delta. Maybe a bit rushed, but do-able.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

The Army Hotel in the French Quarter has a lovely salt water pool that can be used by non-guests for a few dollars, so after a day of wandering around you can go and relax there. While the pool is great, the hotel is not, so stay elsewhere.

With 12 nights you can explore Hanoi, Halong, and Sapa or Ninh Binh-- all are great destinations and September is ideal weather in the north. Here's a 2 week itinerary for the north, and you can cut out what interests you least:

…psu.edu/rxj9/Hanoi/2_Week_Itinerary.html

Hanoi
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

12 night in Vietnam, not to long, so you can visit some most destination.

- Ha Noi of couse 2 day 1 night

- Ha Long, you should book tour Halong bay cruise to see fantastic view of Halong bay. 2day 1 night is normal

- Quang Binh has Thien Duong cave, Phong Nha cave, very nice. You can go by train (19h - 4h30). 2day 1 night is ok

- Quang Binh - Hue - Da Nang - Hoi An. Or you can fly to DA nang, then take tour Da nang - Hoi An - Hue - Quang Binh - Da Nang 5 day 4 night

- Da Nang fly to HCM, you should book tour Mekong Delta cruise to see beautiful of South.

- HCM - KL

Good luck to you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

Thanks guys, now I have some thinking to do! Really appreciate your timely advice, will keep you posted x

10. Re: 12 nights in Vietnam help required, flying in/out Hanoi!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 16, 2014