We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Unable to make decision about which boat to book for halong Bay Cruise. Calypso Cruise or Oriental sails? is $50 difference per head on Calypso worth it.

Has anybody travelled either of these boats?

As far as cleanliness, itinery, food and safety?

We are a family of 3 travelling late February.

thanks

1. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, December 10, 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Both Calypso and Oriental are belong to a same company Asiana Travel Mate Co, LTD. I would say: You'll get what you pay for.

Ha Noi, Ha Noi...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Calypso is better. We are in Hanoi, We tried it before.

4. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:59 pm, February 27, 2014
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

We had a great experience on Calypso in October and would recommend them. Helpful staff and some great tour guides, one of whom spoke some of the best English I heard in Vietnam. Haven't done both so obviously I can't comment on the difference, but like Lilia_Phan says, when you're dealing with established, well-known lines, you get what you pay for. I think it's worth spending the extra $150 for what could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Hi,

I have been on both of these as well, I really liked them both. Calypso is worth the extra in my experience. However you will still enjoy the Oriental Sails if you choose that option. The crew onboard both really are good, friendly, helpful and the food was fantastic! They have a local guide as well, who we found very informative and spoke very good English.

On the Calypso they can do a cookery class on the top deck as well, which is not possible on the Oriental Sails. Which may or may not help you choose.

Enjoy,

Andy

Hanoi
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Calypso is better than Oriental sail. itinerary is quite the same, Calypso boat is bigger and cabin is better.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

Both of cruises are in the same company. Calypso is more expensive than Oriental sail and of course the quality of service and cabin is better

9. Re: Halong Bay Cruise ship choice?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 17, 2013