We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Unfortunately the foodie tour I really wanted to do won;t be operating while we're there - any great fun foodie tours either walking or combination driving/walking? Looking at hotel pick up and drop off included and a great introduction to the city.

Many thanks.

Hanoi Street Food Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Motorcycle Tours
HanoiKids Tour
Food Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Classy Travel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Food Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Adventure Indochina Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

I think I know the tour you're thinking of, Chef Tours, right?

Just be a little adventurous, head out to Truc Bac and wander around.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Well worth doing the street eats and market tour on the following link, unless it's the tour you refer to in your post:

http://hanoicookingcentre.com/

Edited: 5:34 am, December 01, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Thanks -the one that looks awesome is this one -

http://streetfoodtourshanoi.blogspot.com.au

I will have a look at your suggestion and keep a look out for another walking tour.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Ah, I've been reading the Hanoi parts of Mark's Stickyrice blogs for years. I didn't know he did street food tours as well, but if I had I would have been one of the first to sign up.

Good luck with finding a substitute that suits you. Otherwise you could just follow your nose around the Old Quarter and take pot luck by plopping yourself down on one of those little plastic stools on the pavement where loads of Vietnamese people are eating at lunch time or in the evening, and sampling the (often just one) dish offered by the most popular vendors. Best to establish the price per dish beforehand though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Hi there, I have just found Hanoi Kids Tours - mainly local University students who in return for practising English will tailor-make a tour for you of Hanoi. The reviews on TA are fantastic so a great alternative.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

Yep, many hundreds of forum members and others have spent a day with the Hanoi Kids (as did I on my first visit to Hanoi) and it's indisputably time well spent, not least because for many travellers it's the only opportunity they have to spend time with Vietnamese people unconnected with one or other branch of the travel industry.

Put it down as a must-do Clifden, but book well in advance because their popularity means they're not usually available at short notice. University holidays also have to be taken into account because some of the students involved in the scheme return to their families' towns/villages during the holidays, and exam times reduce availability too.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

We enjoyed our tour with this mob mentioned by CB.

http://hanoicookingcentre.com/

We got the hotel to grab us a cab to get there. It turned out to be a private tour as the others waiting there were for the cooking school. The guide who was one of the apprentice chefs had pretty good English and we found the tour quite extensive with lots of local tasting. It included a tour of a nearby market.

The booking process was also simple, something we didn`t always find in Vietnam

Edited: 8:15 pm, December 01, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

We did a private 3 hour food tour last night with Mark from http://streetfoodtourshanou.blogspot.com.au and it was PERFECT!

I think Tu and Mark will pretty much take whatever requests you have and turn them into a walk/taxi round the Old Quarter and beyond.

For us, it was our first evening in Vietnam and all we really wanted was to be well fed with a few different things and check out a food market. Mark took us to 5 or 6 different street food/hidden places, all which we would never have entered ourselves - we had egg coffee, pho, spring rolls, BBQ chicken and yoghurt coffee - nothing too out there (as requested) but all excellent.

I've never been one for 'private' tours, but in Hanoi small numbers are way easier for negotiating the streets etc - any more than 4 in a group would just be annoying.

To follow up, Mark emailed me a list of all the places we went and a bunch of other cafes and restaurants for the rest of the week.

Definitely book ahead, whilst Tu is a full time guide, Mark has a full time job and just does this on evenings weekends.

Excellent first night in Vietnam. 3 hours incl all food & drinks US$55 pp.

9. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 am, December 25, 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone suggest a fabbo 3 hour foodie tour of Hanoi?

"36 Streets" street food tour. Contact at info@daluva.com.