We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam

Hi

we are travelling to Vietnam in Feb for a 15 day holiday, 6 of which is trekking in the North, with another day cycling in the rice fields, and overnight train, 2 nights on a junk Halong Bay.

We will probably also continue on and visit Cambodia but would also like some time on the beach.

What would you recommend we should do. We are not tied for time the 15 days is the basic holiday. They offer 4 days in Cambodia as an extra. But not sure when to fit in beach or should me travel elsewhere.

Thanks

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam

You should be awared that the North of Vietnam will be cold in february especially Sapa or Ha Giang where are the good places to trek. And Halong Bay will be also cold so take warm clothes with you.So you better save the trekking in the North for another trip.But Halong Bay and Hanoi you can add on this trip and spend time in South of Vietnam which you can do lots of cycling, beautiful sunny beaches and easy connecting to Cambodia.

so I would suggest as below:

Day 1: Day 1: Arrive Hanoi

Day 2: Hanoi city tour by rickshaw to explore the old quater and some nice old temples + museums+wet market.

Day 3: Hanoi-Ha Long overnight cruise

Day 4: Halong drive back to Hanoi and take the fly to Saigon

Day 5: Saigon city tour: vespa tour to discover Saigon unseen and cu chi tunnels in the afternoon.

Day 6: Saigon-Ben tre homestay, treking, cycling, cruising, cooking class, enjoying the riverine culture and green paddies and orchards and interacting with the locals etc,

Day 7:Ben tre-enjoy moto rickshaw trip through Vilages before heading to Can tho.

Day 8: Morning visit flotaing market of Cai Rang in Can tho -Fly to Phu Quoc

island to enjoy the sunny Beaches.

Day 9: Phu Quoc

Day 10: Phu Quoc

Day 11:Phu Quoc-speed boat Rach Gia and drive to Chau Doc.

Day 12:Chau Doc-Phompenh

Day 13: Phompenh-Siemreap

Day 14:Siemreap

Day 15: Siemreap flight home.

If you like to spend more days at the beach you can fly back from Phu Quoc to Saigon and then take another connecting flight to Siemreap for 3 nights that will be enough.

Cheers,

Nhung

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam

It sounds to me like you are purchasing a tour package from Dublin ? If so I would suggest that you deal direct with a VN agent. You will save a lot of money and if things do go wrong you have someone local to talk to. A Dublin agent cannot hope to have up to date info, and afterall will only subcontract your tour to an agent in VN.

If you use the search facility at the top of page and change the relevance to date, you will find recomendations from real travellers who have done exactly what you are planning.

The north is not the best time to travel to in February, whereas the south is perfect. I would suggest you re-jig your itineraries to include Dalat for countryside, cycling, trekking, Mui Ne for the beach, then HCMC and the Mekong, before moving on to Cambodia if you feel like it.

Cheers Ross

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam

Thank you so much for the information. We were actually intending to book with KE Adventure travel, who have a 15 day organised trip. Then do the add on to the south and Cambodia ourselves.

But now that I see the weather wont be great, will have to have a rethink.

Thanks

4. Re: Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 09, 2013