We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

I will be in Hanoi on the 24 Jan 13 then doing a 2 day Sapa trek. Thinking of getting a waterproof/windproof kind of jacket. Just wondering if it will be cheaper to buy in Hanoi or Sapa?

Thanks in advance.......Judy

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

I think you will find very little selection in Sapa, and even in Hanoi the chances of getting a fake North Face are very high.

2. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, March 22, 2014
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

We found three different North Face shops in Sapa, all well stocked. One of them, just across the road an up a bit from the Bamboo Hotel, was run by the brother of our guide. I bought Gortex shoes there that I still wear quite often, and they haven't shown any signs of wear. My wife bought Keens sandals that look and feel exactly like the ones I'd bought in Adelaide; only one third of the price.

We didn't see much in Hanoi, but were spoilt for choice in Sapa.

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

You should buy them in Hanoi as it will be cheaper than Sapa. Umove shop at 13 Hang Dieu street is a place where I often buy things with brand name North Face.

Sapa Sunshine Travel

Sydney
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

Thank you all for your reply. Kinda confused now where to buy it but I guess it would be safer to buy it in Hanoi in case we can;t find the shop in Sapa and I can imagine it will be cold when we get there. Can someone please tell me if trainers would be sufficient for the hike as I do not want to bring my hiking boots. Many thanks.....Judy

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

I've trekked many times in the Sapa region in ordinary trainers and there is absolutely no need at all for heavy/bulky trekking boots.

I do, however, find a lightweight, telescopic, walking pole most useful in places.

But there again, there are trekks and there are trekks in the Sapa region.

Best regards. Ian

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

Trainers are find for some part of the year, but January is usually cold and wet. I like to have waterproof shoes during the cold weather months as I find hiking around in cold wet socks is miserable.

Sydney
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

Just returned from my trip a week ago, I like to share that it is better to buy jackets and the likes in Hanoi rather than Sapa. There are lots in Sapa but they are fakes. Found a good shop in Old Quarters, Ma May St called Papaya for good North Face jackets. Not absolutely sure if they are genuine, was told they are seconds. Reasonably priced

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
683 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

We are currently in Sapa and I can tell you for sure that you are better to buy here than Hanoi. We bought them for $25 in Hoi An then decided to bring some back for our sons. We looked in Hanoi and the best we could do for price was $35 to $40. We decided to wait for Sapa. There are a LOT of NorthFace stores, I would say probably a dozen or more...seems like every other store on our street sells them! We bought ones similar to those we got in Hoi An for $25. (These are the shells, not lined ones.) We also bought a lined one for our grandson for $23. Just be aware that you are not getting the real thing!

Edited: 7:17 pm, February 25, 2013
10. Re: North Face or Gortex kind of jackets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 27, 2014