We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out in Hanoi

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out in Hanoi

We are staying in the Sofitel Legend Metropole in Hanio for a few days soon. I believe the hotel is near the old Quarter and the Opera House. We would like to eat out and sample the local food, somewhere nice with an ambiance - not cheap, but not ultra expensive. Would like our first night out in Hanoi to be special. Could anyone recommend a good restaurant please. Many thanks

leicester
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out in Hanoi

Maybe not for your first night, but New Day on Ma May street is great local food and a great atmosphere. It is very cheap, but why pay more if you don't need to? If you look on here at Hanoi restaurants just on the left of the page you can browse the reviews etc and they are ranked in order.

Edited: 10:49 am, October 19, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out in Hanoi

If you want to sample various dishes (sort of tapas style) head to Nha Hang Ngon (26A&B Trang Hang Dao), walking distance from your hotel. They have an extensive menu of different local foods and is designed for trying multiple dishes. Its set in a colonial villa and provides for a fun evening. For fusion food (Vietnamese and French) a lovely evening out is Green Tangerine on Hang Be (easy walk from your hotel),the courtyard setting is lovely at night and the food very good. For other dining suggestions in Hanoi:

www.personal.psu.edu/rxj9/Hanoi/Food.html

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out in Hanoi

I would recomend Highway 4 restaurant which has lots of great choices for authentic northen dishes, cosy atmosphere and yummy home made fruit wine.

Cheers,

Nhung

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out in Hanoi

I'm rather inclined to go with Nhung's recommendation, as long as we have the same branch of Highway 4 in mind (there are seven).

Until my most recent visit to Hanoi in March-April this year I had avoided Highway 4 because the reviews weren't great in terms of culinary authenticity and many other things.

However in March I was privileged to be invited to a staff lunch by a small Vietnamese company. We ate at the Old Quarter branch of Highway 4, located at 5 Hang Tre Street. The food was very good indeed (and I presume it was sufficiently authentic or my fellow lunchers would not have been happy), and the atmosphere and surroundings were very pleasant. There are many floors - I think we ate on the 3rd. And indeed - again following what Nhung says - we drank a delicious local firewater - probably made from fruit but far stronger than wine.

For subsequent meals, JoLeicester's recommendation of the Newday is great (cheap, authentic, but now very popular so it can be difficult to get a table, apart from in upper-floor, windowless rooms), as is Tecalli's recommendation of the Nha Hang Ngon. Very different types of establishment but both well worth a visit.

For low-priced but authentic Vietnamese food I have always enjoy eating at Aubergine at 16 Hang Be. Climb up the spiral staircase to the first floor in UK terminology, 2nd floor in North American - forget the ground floor as it lacks atmosphere.

For authenticity par excellence street food cannot be beaten. Plonk yourself on a little plastic stool on the pavement amid Vietnamese diners and eat the one speciality dish that the vendor of your choice has to offer.

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out in Hanoi

Thank you everyone for the really great detailed replies. There are 6 of eating out that night so will email them this link so we can decide.

I'll post a reply/review once we have had our night out.

Once again many thanks for the advice.

6. Re: Eating Out in Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 24, 2013