We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
54 posts
42 reviews
23 helpful votes
How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

As in the topic, we will be staying in Hanoi, but we would like to visit Ba Be park. We do not like organized tours too much, yet we could consider one if there is no DIY way to get there.

Moreover, how many days/nights would you guys suggest to spend there?

Last, if we are planning to go to Sapa immediately after the park, should we go back to hanoi or is there a direct way?

Thank you

Geki

Hanoi
Level Contributor
456 posts
1. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

it will take nearly one day to get to Ba Be from Hanoi and I think you should be there for 2 days 1 night. The means of transportation is car, you can rent a car from Hanoi with a guide following you for the whole trip.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
28 posts
2. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

Dear,

You do not need to arrange a tour but you still need an interpreter and a car. Because the local people living around Ba Be do not speak English, in Sapa is okey (eveyone speaks English there). You do not need to come back to Hanoi, you can drive ahead there. You should spend 2 days in Ba Be and about 3 da.ys in Sapa. It takes you almost 2 days to drive from Ba Be to Sapa.

Good luck for your trip

Khoa

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

There no direct bus to Ba Be (Three Lake) Park. You can take a bus to Bac Kan at My Dinh bus station and off at Cho Ra town (228 km). Then take a taxi motorbike to Ba Be (16 km). You can stay in Ba Be guest house or homestay inside the park.

Ba Be is worth to visit and still wild and much less touristic than Sa Pa.

If you havent got a private card, you need to go back to Hanoi for Sa Pa. However, from Ba Be, I recommend you to visit Cao Bang or Ha Giang then.

europe
Level Contributor
170 posts
187 reviews
104 helpful votes
4. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

If this is still relevant - we (myself and girlfriend) were in BaBe on the nights of 5th May and 6th May. We went through a tour company ,Footprint , which we can really highly recommend. As some one pointed out already public transport is complicated and time consuming. Sitting drinking rice liquor at night with the host and two drivers I was glad we had a guide to translate into English. The trip from Hanoi is 6 hours by car so to go for less than 2 nights is pointless. If you have the time I recommend 3 nights. I can be reached at nimrodj@yahoo.com if you want faster communications. The trip down the lake is lovely and my partner got terrific pictures from the lake , mountains and mist.

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

Here are my photos in Ba Be National Park trip if you r intered in:

http://hunguk.multiply.com/photos/album/62#

This was a DIY family trip in summer. The first day we got in Ba Be lake in the afternoon and trekked around the village and rice fields. 1 night homestay at the stilt house located near the lake. The next day we hire a boat to cruise around the lake, Nang river, visit Puong Cave, Dau Dang waterfall, Fairy Pond, An Ma island (and the temple), Widow island, etc.

The scenery and the primary forest were very impressive. The water was so green and pure, but when approaching the river it become red.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

Hi Mike,

How do you arrange for a homestay when you are on DIY trip ? How is the drive to Cao Bang (Ban Gioc Falls) from Ba Be ? Could you please PM me for some info for a van rental from Ha Noi.

Thanks.

Edited: 7:35 pm, May 22, 2012
Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

Ba Be is a very quiet/peaceful and less touristy place. So dont need to book homestay in advance. Just get there and check which homestay is fit for you then dealing.

You can find the location in the map below (save to your computer and zoom in a better look).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14047661@N00/7252949712/in/photostream/lightbox/

From National Highway 3 you will go through Cho Ra town to approach Ba Be National Park at Park Entrance (also Park H.Q). Go straight until you see the boat wharf on the right. Turn left to drive along the lake and you get Pac Ngoi then Bo Lu villages. There are stilt houses in both. You can ask directly homestay owner for meals and boat hiring.

For the route to Ban Gioc waterfall, refer to the map below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14047661@N00/7253017830/in/photostream/lightbox/

or using this site if you can type Vietnamese:

http://www.vietbando.com/maps/#t=2&l=9&kv=22.6432100,106.156558&fp=22.4082907,105.622263|22.8781293,106.690854;1;1

The length from Ba Be Lake to Ban Gioc waterfall is about 200km. Near Ban Gioc is Nguom Ngao cave also worth for visit. Government is constructing a road along the Chinese border so it's easy to get both.

Recommend to stay at Cao Bang provincial capital and take a day trip to Ban Gioc waterfall.

I will pm for the van.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
8. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

HI Giacomo,

I will be taking a similar trip to hanoi soon and also doing everything DIY.Just wondering how Ba be was? And how you got there?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Intish

Hanoi
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

Hi everyone,

Actually no direct bus from Hanoi to Ba Be, however you can follow this direction i think it is best way to get there.

If you go by bus please follow the directions as below:

+ 7:00 Am catch a taxi from hotel to My Dinh bus station. Which far Hanoi Old Quarter 10km.

+ 8:00 Am from My Dinh bus station looking for a local bus to THAI NGUYEN city

+ Arriving THAI NGUYEN bus station about 11h00 to 12h00. You will find some sits for lunch in a local restaurant if you feel hungry. Thai Nguyen bus station will have many cars or local buses with Ba Be names. They will invite or put you in their cars. So you say “Khong, cam on” – The best answer.

If you get on, It will be a bad choice, because that will not take you to Ba Be National Park (they are lying or stopping out of the park 20 km away and then you'll have to hire a motorbike to the Park.

A real bus will bring you to Ba Be Park is a red one with plate number THUONG NGA 97h 2417. Depart time at 1h20 Pm from Thai Nguyen bus station and it should drop you off at 5h30 Pm on Ba Be lake-shore.

Comeback Hanoi the same way every morning at 5h30 am.

Good luck and take care

10. Re: How to get to ba be? (and sapa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, December 10, 2013