We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Hi, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fly from Hanoi to Hue instead of taking the overnight sleeper train. I will be travelling with another girl and I am concerned about the possibility of being put in a compartment with 2 males who are strangers to us. Moreover the flight is one hour and ten minutes rather than the long train journey.

Is it easy and reasonably priced to get to the Hanoi airport from the city center and from the Hue airport to the city center?

I believe the price of an economy flight on Vietnam Airlines is $104?

I welcome any advice and sharing your experience with me.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

In my opinion, take the plane. The trains are slow, and though I'm sure you would be fine sharing a compartment with anyone it's not that comfortable and it eats into your trip. Even if you manage to sleep you will still be shattered as its not restful which then impacts on the next day.My partner and I shared with 2 young female travellers so he was delighted but we didn't sleep.

It's normally around $18 dollars from airport to Hanoi or ask your hotel to arrange it. Not sure about distance from Hue.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Hey,

If you are concerned then fly for sure. I often travel that route solo and have never shared with other foreigners, usually I get a Vietnamese family or a couple of men, but I have never felt unsafe on the train.

Hue airport is 15kms from town, around 25mins, a taxi will cost approx 150,000 ($7) on the meter, or there is a very quick airport express bus for 50,000 p.psn (but you need to be specific with the driver about your destination) or you can arrange a car through your hotel for around 200,000 i think.

Flights with Vietnam Airlines start at about $60. Make sure you book on the real site not one of the many copycats.

vietnamairlines.com/wps/portal/en/site/home…

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

I thank you both for your advice and information.

Thank you for providing me with the correct Vietnam Airlines website, shopunderwater. I just checked on the site and without tax it states 950,000 without taxes (approx $46). So with taxes that should come to about $60 as you mentioned - right? I am not sure how much the taxes come to. It just says it is the cheapest fare available but does not state if it is super saver or economy.

I am going to share this information with my travel companion and see what she has to say. She has travelled solo in sleeper compartments in Europe and India, and like you SUW, has never felt unsafe or had a bad experience and is keen on taking the overnight train from Hanoi to Hue. I have not travelled at night on a sleeper train so have concerns.

Edited: 4:35 pm, March 06, 2012
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Evelyn, the plane is the way to go IMO, even with transit and check in time it is a lot more time efficient than the train. You also have the peace of mind knowing that you willl not end up in a small compartment sharing with strangers. The only down side is that the cost of the plane fare and another nights accommodation as opposed to the cheaper train ticket.

Greg

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Sorry, I did not complete the transaction. It showed that it is a saver fare (super savers sold out) on the next screen, and then showed the fare with taxes came up to 1089,000 VND.

So the airfare is not much more than the sleeper berth and the flight is only and hour and a bit. You have both provided me with information for transport to and from Hanoi and Hue airports and it sounds doable and reasonable for the 2 of us.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Thanks, Greg. You posted while I was writing up my next post.

I agree with you. It will not only give me peace of mind but is also time efficient and comfortable.

Is check-in time is 1 hour before a local flight?

Edited: 4:47 pm, March 06, 2012
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Evelyn, if you are wanting to experience part of the journey by train you might consider flying into Da Nang instead, then getting the train to Hue from there. It is very scenic following the coast most of the way. If you go for this option try for a seat on the right hand side rear half of the carriage to make the most of the scenery and to be facing the direction of travel. We are at this at the same time! , yes check in is at least one hour, with the check in closing half an hour before departure.

Greg

Edited: 4:50 pm, March 06, 2012
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

Re the short central Vietnam train journey (and yes it really is worthwhile), if you plan to visit Hoi An after Hue then it makes no sense to fly to Danang (apart from the fact that it's usually cheaper than flying to Hue), then take the train north to Hue and afterwards backtrack to the south.

Do take the train on that stretch, but from Hue to Danang and with the reverse seating to that suggested by sgtgwy for the northwards journey, i.e. book seats on the left-hand side of the train.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

If you use the Livitrans train service, you have nothing to worry about as far as the companionship (my opinion). After all, you are not alone, and this service attracts a higher class of people - generally other travelers. What I dislike about flying out of Hanoi airport is the ride up to the airport, and the airport itself. Using the train has the advantage of using in-town stations in both Hanoi and Hue (you can actually walk to both, if you're so inclined).

(I do not recommend the regular soft sleeper train service) Yes, Hanoi airport is that bad!

Edited: 7:12 pm, March 06, 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying from Hanoi to Hue instead of Overnight Train?

What you are also forgetting is that drive up to the airport - anytime you can avoid road travel in Vietnam is an advantage. I say my prayers every time I go by any car or minibus in VN - just wait till you experience road travel here (even short trip travel is less than safe).