We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Halong

Hi My family will be going to Hanoi (end of Nov), any advice on how to go to Halong, is it better to book a tour and go on our own.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong

Heavens, go with a tour. we used handspan and had a wonderful safe and interesting time. have to be careful about the different junks if you go on your own. i only have praises for handspan, they made our trip in vietnam. we did the homestay also,,,wonderful

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong

thanks dearie.. wat the charges like?

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong

go to handspan.com i thought they were really reasonable. 2 years ago, the charges were around 20$ a day, food, hotel, guide all of it. We are going to use them for Cambodia, as well. have fun

Hanoi Vietnam
Level Contributor
963 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong

T'bugie,

At the end of November it will be very busy and Handspan may have trouble accomidating you or you may have to settle for lower deck on "Dragon's Pearl" (the boat Handspan uses). If you have any trouble booking please contact me and I can get your family on to another high(er) quality boat and at a better price.

Martin

Australia
Level Contributor
313 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong

We also travelled to Halong Bay with Handspan in July this year. We booked a two day trip over their web page which we much much cheaper than the travel brochures. This inlcudes transfer to the bay in a mini bus. We generally prefer to drive ourselves but found tour to be great.

We stayed on the lower level of the boat and I actually preferred it for safety reasons with my 2 kids aged 8 and 11. The boat was superb and far better than any others we saw on the bay.

Only one regret.....we should have done the 2 night cruise.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
490 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong

that is what we thought, we had the best boat in the bay and the guides were wonderful. on the 2 night stay, we hiked into a village that i just couldn't hardly believe. We had lunch in a traditional village, cooked in their "kitchen", dirt floor, i loved all of it, even the lukewarm beer. Then took a hike, straight up to the top of a mountain, and the guide brought watermelon, Heaven, i am really fit and this was a hard hike, minus a watermelon!! we had just a blast.