We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

sorry about this silly question but is it safe to walk around carrying a chunky SLR camera and taking pictures around Hanoi? will it be easily grabbed? any areas i should avoid?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
832 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

Kstaa,

Hanoi is very safe place for tourist. However you still be careful in some place like night market, Dong Xuan market. The best way to hang it on with a line.

Hanoi is the most beautiful in autumn. That is the chance for you to get the most beautiful photos of Hanoi.

Good luck!

David.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

You will generally be safe provided you keep the strap around your neck. The only other precaution is to stand away from the road when taking pictures - when things get stolen it's usually by motorbike 'cowboys'.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
218 posts
3. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

Hi,

Hanoi is safer than Sai Gon. However, you should be carefull at puplic area in the big city.

Cheer

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
9,222 posts
48 reviews
55 helpful votes
4. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

Its not a silly question but what makes you think Viet Nam will be any different from any other country on this planet. As with all countries there are the dregs of society around.

I just take the usual precautions. If not in use, the camera goes in the small rucksack that I carry around with me. And be aware of your surroundings. Don't get too engrossed in taking photos and forget securing other items you might be carrying. Easy done.

As already mentioned above, watch out for the motor bike thief, even on the pavements. They do ride along them. And its not just cameras, mobile phones are snatched from your hand, as my partner found out. One second she was texting, next it was gone. And with lots of people around too.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

thanks for the replies. i'm originally from the Philippines and i know how cautious we have to be there (especially in Manila) even though i'd be considered more of a local than a tourist.

i did hear that Vietnam is alot safer but just wondering by how much. i guess my bulky/heavy SLR would be harder to steal anyway compared to my wallet or phone.. but it's true, you just have to take these safety precautions whereever you travel!

halong
5 posts
6. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

Hanoi is very safe but anyway be careful with street sellers, venders. Some are talking in front catch your attention and others do his/her job in your back, some times.

Happy travelling!

west australia perth
Level Contributor
669 posts
81 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

G,DAY.

Hanoi is as safe as any city anywhere in the world, there will always be someone who wants something for nothing. Take your photos and enjoy this beautiful city, just be aware of your surrounds.Enjoy your trip.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
74 reviews
58 helpful votes
8. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

The larger the pack or camera you carry, the easier target you are! I prefer to blend in with the crowd as much as my Western face allows - I carry a small pocket camera.

Ho Chi Minh City...
1 post
1 review
9. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

I have seen truck load of tourists with their chunky SLRs around the Old Quarter so I guess it is relatively safe.

Australia
Level Contributor
299 posts
51 reviews
24 helpful votes
10. Re: walking around with an SLR camera in Hanoi?

i havent been there yet but i would suggest u use ur common sense.

Thieves are prevalent no matter where are... even more so in poorer countries.