We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

I have read many reviews from people saying the shopping is great. Could anyone tell me the type of things that people are buying?

Are there rare original things one can buy in Vietnam?

Does anyone know if you can buy nice linen, embroidered, whiteor ivory, long table clothes?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

Depends what you're after

Clothes, watches, belts, hats, carvings, lanterns, puppets, jewelry, dog tags(original or not), shells,

anything made of silk, furniture, statues, paintings, lacqerware, eggshell art,

The list goes on...

I wouldn't believe anybody who is selling something they say is rare or a one off, but if it looks good, and you like it, who cares! Dont pay a premium though, chances are its not what they say.

Anything can be copied so bring a picture of what you want. Hoi An is best for custom clothing, linen etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

Thanks Melbournite. I am going to Hoi An so maybe that is where the silk, linens and maybe bed coverings will be bought.

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

You can buy linen and embroidered table clothes, curtains, runners, pillow cases, etc. In fact, if you take a boat cruise in Tam Coc, you will be pretty much *forced* to buy embroidery, as the ladies who man the sampans have baskets filled with it and you're pretty much a captive audience...

There's definitely a lot of fun stuff to buy, but as far a "quality" goods, I'm not so sure. Tailored clothing in Hoi An for sure.

I didn't buy silk stuff in VN because I was on my way to Cambodia, where the silk scarves, handbags, etc. were really outstanding.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

There is a shop in Le Loi St Hoi An where you can see silk worms making silk. They sell all kinds of linen, table clothes etc made from silk. I'm not an expert on these things but my wife thought they were great and excellent value.

I'm not sure of the number but it is about half way along Le Loi St on your right as you walk away from the river.

sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

Besides clothing & linents - one of the best things we found to buy in VN was the lacquerware.

Plenty of good cheap shops in HCMC (markets), Hoi An and Hanoi. If you see something you fall in love with - buy it - we made the mistake of going back the next day - it was gone!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

Just wondering if any places sell fake Nike Air Max. I wouldn't mind wearing a slightly blemished one or refurbished pair. They are afterall made in Vietnam...hehehe.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

What is lacquerware?

What else is available in Vietnam?

I had a guy at work bring me back a beuatiful hand crafted wooden box a few years ago.

Do they do they same sort of fake gear that you see in Thailand and Bali?

I have heard that the Ben Than market in Saigon is awesome but I haven't really seen what they sell except for fresh produce. I am sure that it is great but i don't really want to waste half a day watching tourists watching locals buying fruit.

What are the other markets in Saigon like?

Whats better for shopping Saigon or Hanoi?

sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

Dangergoinoff - lacquerware is this sort of stuff:

http://handmadelacquer.com/

But they also do little things like cute magnets.

Ben Thanh markets is the most tourist friendly and has plenty of shops with all the souvenirs you typically find in Vietnam. There's also the Tax Department Store - like our regular shopping centres in Aus - all at fixed prices. There are some other department stores as well - but styled more like "Vietnamese David Jones".

Up in Hanoi, Dong Xuan market is more of a wholesale market - so many days are spent wandering around the streets looking at all the shops - it was easy to forget what you saw where!

9. Re: Shopping - What to buy in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 27, 2009