We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in Hanoi?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel in Hanoi?

I am going to Hanoi in April and confused now as I do not know which hotels to choose from. I've contacted some of the hotels directly from their website and the price quoated pretty reasonable though.

Anyway, I need some opinions/recommendations from those who been to Hanoi? Hotels in which area would be more preferable, Old Quarter or Cathedral? Please help to suggest a few good budget hotels in those area for me.

Thank you!

1. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:03 am, March 11, 2008
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

Depends on what you are looking for, and what you expect. Most hotels in the old quarter are really guesthouses with minimal facilities, and its really very noisy there. Hotels in Hanoi are overpriced for what they offer, partly because there's a shortage of rooms. The Zephyr (right next to the bottom end of Hoam Kien lake is more like a real hotel, but a bit expensive. The city center is very compact so its easy to walk around. I also liked the Thang Long Opera Hotel.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

We stayed at both the Golden Sun and the Morning Star in Hang Hanh very near Hoan Kiem Lake, and I wouldn't describe either as noisy. Both were very reasonably priced.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

Don't trust the Morning Star. We had booked with them several months before travelling, which means absolutel zip to them. They have a bad reputation for letting you down . . . and guess what!!!

Fortunately we knew of their poor image (but decided to take a chance, being ever positive ;-)), so were mentally prepared for this, but still VERY unimpressed!!!!! More so with the lies they tell, in as much as they said to us that guest in our room had an accident and was in hospital so couldn't vacate. Later changed story saying that guest had decided to stay another day.

Unfortunately it was a Saturday during high season, so all other hotels I had put on my just-in-case list were fully booked. But we ended up in a clean (but characterless) hotel, and slept well, sense of humour intact.

But we refused to stay with them again, though booked at a later date. There's no way I would give them a second chance, as they really couldn't care less about people, only about money.

We ended up at the Green Mango the next time we were in Hanoi, a great little hotel with wonderful staff, and would highly recommend for somewhere a little different.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

We were also choosing between getting a hotel at the Old Quarters or at the Cathedral area and ended up at the Rising Dragon right smack in the Old Quarters. It is actually a guesthouse without a lift and some rooms are tiny but we couldn't ask for more for USD30 a night. I loved the location which is just 1 minute walk to Hoan Kiem Lake and 5 minutes to the Water Puppet Theatre.

The Cathedral area is quieter and the shops are newer with lots of cafes, although you will need to walk for about 15 minutes to get to the thick of the action in the Old Quarters.

sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

We stayed at The Church hotel just down the road from the cathedral. We weren't too interested in bia hoi so it was nice and quiet. Within walking distance to everything.

Best breakfast we had in Vietnam.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

We stayed at the Ritz Hotel when we were there in January and thought it was great for the price, around $20 US for a double room including breakfast. Good central location near the lake in the old town, very nice people and off the main road so not so noisy.

Great Oakley
Level Contributor
70 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

Have just returned from Vietnam and in Hanoi we stayed at The Anise in the old quarter. It only opened last may so it is still in good decorative order. Nice staff and the room we had for our first visit was Park Room over looking the park (obviously)was spotlessly clean.The second visit we stayed in the suite, very spacious.Not over priced.Breakfast was good and enough choice. Would stay there again if we returned.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

I stayed in a place called Thu Giang Guest House - they have two places and I stayed at the one on Hang Dieu. This area of the old quarter slightly less noisy! But it's Ha Noi and everywhere is noisy!

The rooms are between US $10-$12 and one room on each floor. Clean and neat and run by a really lovely family.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel in Hanoi?

Thanks guys for the useful information.

Anyone had stayed at the APT Guesthouse, Hanoi? Please let me know what do you think of their accomodation and tour services.