We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phones

Hi all,

Just a very specific question, this is our family's first trip overseas, so I am starting with the basics.

Can anyone tell me what we need to do to use our mobiles in VN. Do we just buy a simcard once in VN, or can we set it up before travelling there.

By the way, thank you everyone, I have had some terrific reading over the last 6 months and have booked hotels and flights based on the info on this forum. It's been great fun. Departure time getting close now...

Kind regards, Jen.

belfast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones

Make sure your phone is Tri band and then you can buy a new sim card in Vietnam

sydney
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones

what if we have a dual band phone, will it still work?

melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones

Most new phones are tri band . I brought a new but very basic nokia with me and it was fine . Just buy a sim card in Vietnam. Our son had a telstra prepaid phone which was locked and we couldn't use it. With the help of our hotel in Hanoi we bought a new phone for $20 USD and yes that phone works in Australia with an optus sim card.

Cheers Marian

belfast
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phones

Dual band will NOT work

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile phones

Thanks for that, we'll take our phones and get simcards.

Cheers, Jen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile phones

hi, is it possible to get the phone lock taken off in Hanoi? If so .. how much would be reasonable and where would I go? thanks

jay

melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile phones

Hi Jay

We tried in a number of places to get a phone unlocked but they couldn't do it,hence we bought the new phone there.

Marian

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: mobile phones

thanks Marian,

buying a phone is probably the easiest option then.

jay

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mobile phones

Tobyjen,

If you are starting in saigon there is a little conveniance store about 50mtr from the Anan hotel in the old sector this place took about one minute to unlock and set up our phone.New number of course and then you text the number home and every-one can contact you.

You will find the phone service is very cheap I think we only spent around 100,000dong the entire trip this included calling AU quite often,we sat at the airport making calls to family trying to use the last of it.

Hanoi should be the same as Viets are pretty in tune with setting up most things .

You will have a great time enjoy.

Coupe

Melbourne
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mobile phones

Thanks Coupe,

We are starting in Hanoi, so hopefully we will find someone knowledgable about setting up our phones. I guess we will ask at the hotel and go from there.

Cheers, Jen.