We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay Junk Accident

California
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Halong Bay Junk Accident

Anyone have info on the accident that occured a day or two ago? I had booked it and now it is canceled. They said it is out for 4-5 months.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

All I know is what I read on Thorntree- that the Dragon's Pearl is out of commision and Handspan and Tropical Sails are offering alternative boats. Such a shame, as the Dragon's Pearl was a brilliant experience, but hopefully the alternatives are of a similar standard.

California
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

sunset, do you know about the lagoon explorer? They have offered me a great deal on it, only $13 more per person for the 1 night.

sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

painnurse - did you book with Tropical Sails directly?

I did for Dec 8 - and haven't heard from them. Sent them an email a few days ago and no word yet.

California
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

whitey, I am not sure who e-mailed me back but it is I believe with tropical sails as that is who I booked with. It took them forever to answer any of my e-mails. So keep sending them. We would have been passing ships, our trip on the pearl was for Dec. 7.

West Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

I wouldn't worry about getting a boat, just go to the bay and choose one. We got a 6hr day trip, lunch boat to ourselves for around 20US I think.

California
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

Will22 that is how I plan it now. It is truly amazing how everyone is jumping on these junks at such a high cost. This cost, even on the most expensive junk, ought not to be what it is. It is because the tourist will pay it without blinking an eye. Of course, my opinion. I found that the Lagoon Explorer wants $195 at cheapest I could find on net for a night, and now Tropical Sails has offered it to me for $110. The mark up is high, as I believe they are still making money even at that great rate. Do people know that there are literally hundreds of boats out there?

Ha Noi
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

yeah, Dragon's Pearl Junk is out of commission cause it got an accident on 16th Oct 2007.

We will repair and upgrade our boat and hope Dragon's pearl Junk will continue mission on 4 months next.

We hope all peoples who had booking with us will accept our apologize for our cancellation of your booking.

Thanks to everybody.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

pain nurse

totally loved the lagoon explorer !

batt

9. Re: Halong Bay Junk Accident

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 12, 2009