We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

I am planning to visit Hoi An and Hue while I am in Hanoi. I think I want to do Hoi An first, so I can relax at the beach a bit on my first day or 2, then I would like to hire a driver to Hue for a few days.

How do I book this? Can I book a flight to Hoi An and then a flight to Hue and then a flight back to Hanoi? Which airports.

Thanks for your help!

Adam

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,443 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

OK, Lord knows I am no expert but this is what we've found out so far. My husband (another Adam :-) ) and I are planning a trip to VN which includes Hue, Hoi An and Hanoi among other destinations.

I don't believe there is an airport at Hoi An- certainly Vietnam Airlines (vietnamairlines.com) doesn't list a flight there, and the Rough Guide indicates there isn't one Danang, which is only 30km/20miles from Hoi An, is the closest airport. So I would think you would be best off to fly to Danang and then hire a car and driver to take you to Hoi An.

Hue does have an airport 15km/10miles away, Phu Bai airport, but as Hue has the highest rainfall in VN, my husband has found references that indicate the airport is vulnerable to closure during bad weather (mostly October-December). From the map, Hue is about 80km/50miles from Danang and so 110km/70 miles from Hoi An. Lots of people recommend taking a car and driver from Hoi An to Hue through the spectacular Hai Van pass, which is what we have decided to do. You can also take the train from Danang to Hue (there is no station at Hoi An) and from the train schedule it looks like it takes about 3 hours.

Assuming you are there in good weather, from the Vietnam Airlines website there are several flights daily going from Hue to Hanoi. They don't list any flights at all going from Danang to Hue, so it doesn't look like you can fly that leg anyway. As it is only 50miles it's probably not worth it.

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

You can fly into HUe ( unless you are feeling like an adventure and want to catch an overnight train from hanoi to hue ? I flew but others may want to comment on the train leg! OR you may not have time?)

From HUe, you can get a car to Hoi an - theres plenty to see along the way ( china beach - hv pass- marble mountain - lang cao beach ) T+YOu can catch a bus but to be honest a bus trip didnt interest me as I wanted the liberty of stopping whenever I saw anything of interest

For me it was easier to stay in Hue first ( as it was first stop off the plane) then use that time to get the hotel to arrrange a car to hoi an - Id spoken to a few people in Hue and Orchid hotel matched the going price for car hire which from memory was about 700,000 dong or ? $50 US )

theres a thread here that might help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k111…

Others may have ideas on how to arrange the trip to Hoi an first from Hue

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

Have a look at this:

(flights)

tnktravelvietnam.com/html/…b0

If yiou fly to danang, you can catch a taxi straight to hoi an ( marble mountains along the way here- stop and have a look if you have time)

There doesnt seem to be a Danang to Hue flight, so you could either get a driver from Hoi an to Hue ( allow 4-5 hours if youre going to sight see along the way) or bus or I think theres a train?

(train)

www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Train%20times

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

Is there any reason to do either Hue or Hoi An before the other? I am leaning toward Hoi An first, but don't really care too much.

I discovered that I will either fly to Hue, stay 2 nights at the Orchid, hire a car down to Hoi An and then fly back to Hanoi from Denang,

Or, I will do it in reverse...fly Hanoi to Denang and go to Hoi An for 3 days, car to Hue and then fly back to Hanoi.

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

My personal expereince was that HUe was more sightseeing - tombs. citadel , town itself ( my hotel didnt have a pool either) whereas Hoi an I had a pool to relax in, and whilst there was lots to see it was more mellow. ( not to say you cant relax in Hue, It didnt work that way for me because of no pool at Orchid Hotel - which by the way was excellent- and I was only having 2 days)Plover for example who posts here loves Hue and has onviously spent a lot of time there and no doubt has unearthed a lot more to explore than this 2 day Hue traveller.

Either way has its merits.Youve already got in your mind that a realx might be your objective after hanoi ?

6. Re: Hanoi - Hoi An - Hue how to get there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 01, 2009