We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Hanoi

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Hanoi

Hi All

We are a family of 4 (parents, 2 teenagers) and arriving in Hanoi in mid July 2007 after having been to Ho Chi Minh City, Dalat, and Hoi An. We are thinking of spending 5 nights in Hanoi plus a overnight trip on Halong Bay. Can anyone advise us whether 5 nights is more than enough for general sightseeing, or not enough or just about right. Or should we spend more time in those other places I mentioned above? I would greatly love to get some feedback or suggestions based on your own experiences.

Thanks & Cheers,

Soumitra

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Hanoi

Hello Soumitra - During the 4 weeks we were in VN we werein Hanoi for 3 days - it was meant to be 5 days but our flight out of VN had to be brought forward (due to a mixup by Malaysian Airlines), and I can say that it was definitely not enough time. Because we weren't anticipating leaving that early we had been taking our time about getting to the sights - so we'd only covered Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum and house and the water puppets. Mind you we'd walked the streets of Hanoi quite alot - walked around the Lake at about 6am to watch the locals doing their daily exercise (try to fit this in at least once!) etc. But were really disappointed we hadn't got to the Ethnology Museum or the Temple of Literature.

So I don't personally think you've got too long in Hanoi (I don't think you can ever have TOO LONG in any one place!) but unless you wanted to fit in Sapa it should be just right.

New Yorker
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Hanoi

Just got back from Vietnam last week, trip is amazing and we have been to numerous places in se-asia.

We spent 4 days in HCMC, 4 in Hoi An, and 4 in Hanoi which turned out to be perfect.

HCMC is by far the best place to shop with a more limited amounts of true sightseeing. We hit all of the sights that are on everyones recco/book and found that only the trip to the Delta was actually a "true sightseeing event", most of the others were on the ok side (but still worth seeing the interesting way most items are portrayed). Stayed at the Renaissance which was very nice and expensive for Vietnam but we had free nights.

Hoi An is great for relaxation, not to mention wonderful tailor shops (we had numerous items made, however, the best is to bring something you like and have them do copies). Obviously Myson and such is a must see (these places are continuing to deteriorate as they are protected but still in the weather (will be gone some day). We stayed at Golden Sands which was a little wore on the edges but still a very nice place (5 star in Vietnam, nice 3 star in the states).

Hanoi was our least favorite stop (however still a great time) and must sees are the water puppet show and Halong bay. Persoanlly we found the city to be a little less friendly and a little more Americanized (more bill boards and such as it is full of govt officials from the world). We stayed at the Zephyz which was a PERFECT hotel in a great location, amazingly friendly staff, and completely safe at all times.

You will love it, let me know if you have any more questions-

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Hanoi

Drews & Ebony

People - thanks for taking this effort to reply to my Post. I am constantly getting amazed at how wonderful, entertaining, informative and helpful the internet can be. Whats more, there is a whole community of people out there that are willing to take the effort to reach out and offer advice and help. "....of the people, by the people, for the people"...... Go People Power - YESSSS.

Thanks again. Will definitely post our experiences once we get back. We are all getting quite excited even though its a couple of months away. Almost everyone seems to agree that Vietnam is just a fantastic destination - you hear stories of travelers returning there time & time again. We had lived in Indonesia for 2 years which we thought was a fantastic experience and travelled to Thailand & Malaysia (and of course the ubiquitous trips to Singapore) but have not been to Asia since, so getting quite an itchy feet to return and experience a part of Asia we have never been to.

By the way, how much would you budget for food - lunch and dinner. Also we are planning on booking tours (such as going to the Mekong Delta, etc) once we get to our destinations. Is that a good idea in your opinion. We are budgeting on around USD$ 150 per tour on average for day tours out of HCMC and Hoi An, including guide, car / taxi, food, etc. What's your experience?

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you.

Soumitra

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Hoi An
Hoi An
Ha noi
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Hanoi

Hi Soumitra,

5 days is not long time when you decide to stay in Hanoi.

If you plan to go to Sapa, maybe it is very rush time for you. Coz you have to spend suitable time in some parts of Vietnam so 5 days is OK for you.

2 days one night : Ha long bay , sleep on the boat

1 day for Hoa Lu citadel

1 day for traditional village

1 day for city tour( visit some relics and have 1 hour for cyclo tour around 36 streets in old quarter and then enjoy the water puppet)

The next day, shopping more then fly to Hue or Ho Chi Minh as you plan.

The best tip you should book tours included some main meals because travel agent could done well for you with good price.

Normally, for Vietnamese restaurant you have to pay about from 10 to 13 USD/pp( not included drink). I think it is good price.

Hope this helps.

VTI Tours

5. Re: First Time to Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 31, 2009