We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi - Golden Lotus Hotel

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi - Golden Lotus Hotel

Have just spent 4 weeks in Vietnam and stayed at the Golden Lotus for 7 nights in between side trips to Sapa and Hoi An. This is a confortable hotel, with a lift, on a very good street in the old quarter. Can recommend the front rooms at US$50, rather than the back rooms which are cheaper at US$40 but with small frosted windows, so no view. Also suggest you book rooms on 2nd-5th floors. The lift goes to the 6th floor but there's a very noisy washing machine on the top floor (7th) that starts about 6am and the internal stairs are next to the back rooms and you can hear the breakfast tables (ground floor) being set at 6am! Breakfast is disappointing - suggest you eat at Cafe Moca, or another of the nearby cafes.

If you are organising a taxi from the hotel to the airport be warned that mine arrived very late on two occasions and I had to flag another one down one morning when the booked one didn't arrive. Suggest you ask the staff to order one for you about 30 mins before you need it. They won't phone one for you until you front up to the desk, ready to leave. The trip to the airport takes much longer on Sat and Sun when it seems like everyone with a motorbike and car is on the roads! It usually takes 45 min, longer at weekends.

I'm happy to answer questions about Hanoi, Sapa and Hoi An if you'd like to email me direct. This was my second trip to Vietnam and it's changing very fast.....

Tamara (59 years young)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi - Golden Lotus Hotel

hi Tamara- I've sent you a private email - just click on your messages

Monterey, California
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi - Golden Lotus Hotel

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for sharing your experience in Hanoi. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids (4&6 yr old). Would like to get your thoughts on whether Golden Lotus hotel would be good for kids. What I am looking for is clean bathroom, clean room and bed (since the kids tend to touch everything) and spacious room. I read somewhere that room 601 has a King bed which is good for us; however, based on what you said, it may not be good. How noisy does it get on sixth floor ? What kind of breakfast is given (western or asian?) and what did you not like about it. Thanks ahead for your advise.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi - Golden Lotus Hotel

Would you raeccomend another hotel then in Hoi An? We will be there for New Years and would like to be in a central area.

What about the beach near Hoi An did you stay out there at al? Would it be worth staying out there for a night or two? We will have 3days in Hoi An. Any reccomendations as far as food or night life? Since it will be new years.

4. Re: Hanoi - Golden Lotus Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 14, 2009