We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

Southwestern Plains
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

We went on a boat trip to the Perfume Pagoda and finished off with an uncomfortable incident. Not knowing the expected tip, looked at the rates paid boatwomen (about 15,000VND is a day's wage, which is about $1US) and tipped the woman $2US. She looked at the money and said she wanted more. Did we miss something? Am I a stingy tosser?

Mentioned in this post
Perfume Pagoda
Perfume Pagoda
583 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

yes i only have 2 weeks also , unfortunatley , due to hubbies working commitments , maybe next time for me also , but i am doing halong bay for sure .

cheers

batt

California
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

Bac HongLam,

I'm sorry that the rower harrassed you to point of convincing others not to visit the most beautiful grotto under the Southern sky. I found the whole experience rather fascinating, much in line with the tradition of Buddha pilgrimage, of seclusion, devotion, and compassion.

VN is a state of mind, and for me, I'm still stepping through many journeys from within.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

Hi Pho4me,

VN is a " state of mind"----and I am still learning---and it IS all the things you mention!

plover

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

We had a similar experience in Hoi An - the boat lady's "middle woman/business dealer" told us she was charging a certain rate. We did a little bit of bargaining (more for show than anything else) and settled on a price. I double checked the price before hopping on the boat (yes, yes she said) but when we returned to shore and my husband handed over the cash to the business partner (she owed us some change which usually what we did was THEN say - "no keep it and thanks for the trip!" We found that this made both us and the "seller" happy).

But this lady refused to give us change - she insisted that we'd agreed on the full rate she asked for orginally. So my hubby said "Well then instead of change I want a kiss" and leant towards her - she was a wizzened, wily old thing and she just about died! But then she got the joke and went off into gales of laughter. But still no change.

We left with a disatisfied feeling in us. We always paid a fair price for things and as I said ALWAYS tipped - the better the service the higher we tipped, so instances like this are unsettling because of that. But we never had anyone say that our tip wasn't enough - so your lady was just being very cheeky I think Buffalou!

But it's all a part of travelling through Asia.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Asia
Asia
World
Australia
Level Contributor
698 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

pho4me,

I was not angry at the rower.I was angry because i "lose face" with other visitors about the hospitality of " our people ". Hope that you understand me. However, i got over that matter and since then i came back to Hanoi twice, but as i said before: never eve Chua Huong again for me,nor my family!Tell me, how would i explain to my son in law who is Italian/Australian about my fellow Vietnamese sbehavior??i've been harassed from the taxi driver who tempted to give me an excursion by drove around Saigon,but when i left Vietnam i was 28y/o so the trick didn't work.But it was ok,as long as it not happened in front of a foreigner who will value our country by the act of our people.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

This trip was on our list to do when we travel in April .. it is now OFF our list of things to do !

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

hong lam

i guess the longer version taxi ride around saigon still would have been cheaper than to get a driver to show you the city ??

i would have got out of the taxi saying " thank you for the cheap enjoyable scenic route "

hehehehe

schoies

yes i think that story is enough to turn anyone off , if they can do it to a fellow vietnames , imagine how the would treat westerners ?...bit scary !

cheers

batt

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

as my daughter is fond of saying- he took you for two kinds of rides

had it happen to us too many times to count -

19. Re: Tipping Boat Woman at Perfume Pagoda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 21, 2009