We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

japan
4 posts
Save Topic
Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

With so many junk operators in Halong Bay, it's almost impossible to decide which junk/operator to choose from.

I have a short list:

Lagoon Explorer: $150pp (Tropical Sails). Smaller boat, only junk that is able sail (rather than motor). The appeal of this junk is that it doesn't appear to be one of the "floating hotels" that I wish to avoid.

Pinta Gold: $125pp (Columbus). Bigger boat, therefore more facilities ?? (massage etc). Its in the floating "hotel category", but has an AMAZING review on tripadvisor, which I can't ignore.

I have read a lot of praise about the Pinta Gold, but not so much about the Lagoon Explorer.Has anyone had first hand experience of the Lagoon Explorer? Or both junks. I want to enjoy Halong Bay in comfort but without the Carnival cruise boat feel.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,208 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hanoi
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

Hello wekabeka,

The you better take the Lagoon Explorer. However the loggon explorer is older boat then the Pinta Gold.

You also canloo at the website: www.junkshalong.co for more information as they have a list of boat which realiable and good servies.

May be you wouls like to try te Red dragon Cruise or so. http://junkshalong.com/halongcruise/37/11

Good luck and enjoy Halong Bay

Indochina Advisor

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,208 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

Hi there - just saw your note. We do have first hand experience with Lagoon Explorer as we were in Halong Bay in March 2009. Interestingly enough our tour company was Tropical Sails.

It is important that you are aware that there are two Lagoon Explorers (don't know if there are more).While waiting for our boat two couples from Germany boarded Lagoon Explorer 2 while we waited to board Lagoon Explorer 1. Unfortunately we were on the older and smaller boat. Explorer 2 is also relatively small but just a bit larger and most importantly newer. You can be assured that you will have a great time on Lagoon Explorer 2 as we had a chat with our German friends (we traveled with them from Hanoi to Halong) and they were extremely happy. I must say the food was just fine on our boat and the people who served us were also most charming. By the way, we also paid US$150 pp for each of two of us and US$195 for our son who had his own room. Hope this helps. P.S. Unfortunately, (sumimasen)we cannot help you regarding Pinta Gold as we have no experience with this boat.

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,208 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
3. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:43 am, July 15, 2010
Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

I just booked a 2 night stay on the Pinta Gold in eary July sounds like the best for us.We are bringing our 7 year old daughter,is there a room on that boat the can accomidate.They had a triple room advertised on there website.

5. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:25 am, June 29, 2009
japan
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

thanks all for your comments and recommendations.

after all that, i have decided on booking with indochina sails, as they have a promotion for $169pp. its a little more pricey than what i had planned, but all of the reviews i have read have been positive, if not glowing. i also got a very prompt and helpful response from the company, who will adapt the meals to suit my dietary restrictions: no read meat or chicken.

i will report back on my experience to let you all know how it goes.

johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

Hi there, glad you have made your decision and am certain you will have an amazing trip - even though some boats are more luxurious than others with better food - I think we would all agree that Halong Bay itself is magical and for us even somewhat mystical(it was grey for our two days making photography much more interesting- each photo has turned out like a pen and ink/watercolour work of art).

Just a note to "Melb" - glad that you had an amazing trip on the Pinta Gold. You mentiioned that you dealt with a tour company that organised other trips for you in the north. Though we have virtually just returned, I know that we want to visit this special country again - therefore, would appreciate knowing who you dealt with as you seem to be "over the moon" with them. (By the way, I see that you are from Australia - our daughter recently married an Australian and is living very happily in Sydney.).

Looking forward to hearing from you - and thanks in advance. Sincere regards.

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,208 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
8. Re: Lagoon Explorer or Pinta Gold ... or other?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 22, 2009
;