We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

scotland
9 posts
Save Topic
Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Going to Vietnam later on in the year.

Im going to do a 2day.1 night cruise but just wondering which of the two boats are better. Ive read alot of reviews and both sound great.

Big different in price though 210 for Ginger/130 Lagoon Explorer 2 (dollars)

Any one been on both?

Mentioned in this post
brisbane
Level Contributor
197 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Have booked Ginger for one night cruise in late April. Will let you have a report after trip. I did chose Ginger over Lagoon Explorer 2 after checking web sites.

Victoria. Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

I was on Emeraude this week - excellent but pricey, but you need a private driver to get down apparently. Our travel agent (from Hotel) had to put us on with people from Ginger and they didnt get off until 12.00 and we were off at 9.30, so had to wait for 3 hours to be picked up. Very annoying so 'forced' myself to spend the time buying pearls from small market and women hawkers to fill in the time.

Emmeraude excellent (we chose that one because it was bigger and more stable and thought it would avoid husband getting seasick) - bay was calm as a pond! People from Ginger were very happy with what they got. As in all cases unless you do both its hard to tell.

Ginger went to different caves to Emeraude.

Victoria. Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Sorry - people we were on with were from Dragon Pearl not Ginger, so cant really tell you about Ginger. Not reading carefully enough.

scotland
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Theres plenty of time till I go to Vietnam so Ill keep reading the forums.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
hanoi
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Hello kerrbear,

I had been in Dragon Pearl( also call lagoon Explorer) and Ginger. They are both nice and good services. But as far as i know, i prefer Ginger than lagoon Explorer. Even the price of Ginger is higher than Lagoon but services are quite different. Foods were also very delicious. Guide spoke English fluently. all of the people on the Ginger boat were very friendly and helpfully. Boat was clean and cabin was, too.

yes, I know you are considering about the price and it makes you feel difficult to choose which one for your trip. i do hope you will have a very interesting holiday in Vietnam with Ginger.

Cheers,

Davidleen

Mentioned in this post
scotland
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

I've decided to go for Ginger.

I'm only going to be doing it once so want to do it in style.

Cant wait for my holidays now.

My sister is getting married in Thailand so going to Samui, Bangkok, Hanoi, Halong, Hue, Hoian and Saigon.

Gonna be a trip of a lifetime so thats why Im planning it early.

BTW was there any rats on the Ginger?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
248 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

I vote for the Ginger as well. We were there on Apr 1 and 2. Air condition in rooms can be left on even when you're not in your room. Very clean, no rats. Excellent foods - one of my best meals in Vietnam so far. Wonderful staff and our guide Thinh was excellent.

You should shop around for price. We paid $170 US per person (double occ.) and $295 per person (single occ.). This included private van transfer. (The queen bed rooms will cost more. We all got the twin bed rooms).

This is the only boat I've been on so I won't say it's the best junk on the bay. All I can say is that we are all happy with what we got and thought it was worth every penny.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Thanks Kerrbear for bringing this up again - I was just going to post to ask the same question.

I am looking at the Ginger Junk or Dragon Pearl (is that considered the Lagoon Explorer 2?) junk for a 2 day cruise in August. We tend to do 5-star travel, I don't want to do Emeraude since we do want the "junk" feel, but do you all think Ginger is the best on the bay? in terms of service, food and accomodations? I can't find information on much else, the price sounds fine, but if there is something better as you said this may be my one chance in a lifetime to see Halong Bay, I want to do this right! Also, yes if I saw a rat I might scream!

Also, how's the weather up there in August?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,208 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Palm Cove, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Hello, I just returned.

The tropical sails have three boats. The Dragon Pearl caters for about 20 ? The lagoon 1 & 2 (2 is the new one but as far as I seen and told identical) both have only 4 cabins. I went on the Lagoon 1 which has 3 double cabins and a single one. Maybe check out the web site and look at the boats to compare. I think it would be how many people you wanted to be with. I chose the Lagoon as it caters for small numbers.

Our cabin had its own shower and toilet the others shared (don’t know why we got this cabin maybe because I booked early or we where the first on the boat) Only six of us on the boat the food was just great, lots of upper deck chairs, very clean, guide spoke good English and had been doing the tours for years. Felt really spoilt and the mood & setting prefect for us !!!!! Hope this helps….Good luck in deciding

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ginger or Lagoon Explorer

Can anyone tell me if Dragon's Pearl has sufficent sun lounges on the upper deck for all of its passengers? Thanks.

;