We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Hi, we are looking at flying into Dalat from Hanoi in January before we go to Mui ne to relax. Is a worth a stopover for a few nights ? Thinking about 3 nights. We are an active family that enjoys the outdoors, walking, bike riding & great food. What do you love about this area ? Suggestions of things to do ? Is 3 nights a nice time to stay ? Tnks Franji

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Just walking around town, the markets and the lake is wonderful because of the temperature. Head to Detlana waterfalls which is only 10 minutes out of town for some great fun. The toboggans and cables are a hoot and the kitsch entertainment is fun. Plenty to do outside of town for trekking etc...so just research a little and you will have a great experience. IMO.

Mark

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

I am in Dalat now.

I just love this little town.

It's has something in the air.

It's a Vietnamese former French get away from Saigon.

There is plenty to see and do for a 3 to 4 night stopover.

I like it much more then Mui Ne.

Do Phu Quoc rather then Mui Ne you won't be disappointed :)

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,336 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

I agree with the above posts and I do like Dalat, however Jan will be cold and you can expect a good bit of rain.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Thanks everyone. We will ok with the cooler weather as will be trekking in Sapa previously before. We are going to Phu Quoc after Mui Ne for one week too. Just thought we would see Mui Ne as this is our second visit to Vietnam.

We were thinking of Dalat as we thought we would love it too. We have been to Kampot in Cambodia & adore the whole feel & atmosphere of this gorgeous place.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Some of the best places to see is the Vinh Phuoc and the Truc Lam Pagodas. Dantanla and Prenn waterfalls are very crowded nowadays with the many busses doing day trips from Nha Trang. Hire a local rider for the day and do a countryside tour.

Owee58

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

I'm in Dalat right now. The countryside is nice, but not near a "worldwonder" like Vietnamese tell sometimes. We have dozens of similar landscapes all over Europe. It's not comparable with the mountain areas in the north of Vietnam. But there are some interesting things to visit, like coffee plantations, and driving around is relaxing and fun.

The city itself is really boring in my eyes, but a nice place to relax with fresh air and very good coffee.

Dalat, Vietnam
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Of course, Dalat is the ideal destination for tourist who like to enjoy the natural landscape or discover the cuture of ethnic minority people

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Do yourself a favour and check out Mr Rot and his Secret Tour. Contact via Villa Pink House B&B. We went on the Tour yesterday (10hrs) simply amazing, stunning, magnificent, unforgettable.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
783 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

we did the canyoning tour with highland holiday tours and it was the best 25 bucks i have ever spent. do not go to dalat and not do this tour.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
532 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dalat ? Ideas, what do do ? What do you enjoy ?

Here you are !

I loved Da Lat, perhaps because, finally, you know where you go thanks to the town maps given by the hotels, and you can eat superbly. Attention: it is at 1500 m altitude, and often windy, so you need warm clothes from December to end of March. The excellent Dreams Hotel of the charming Mrs Dung was full (it is often so), so, I ended up in her brother’s hotel (as charming!) at the Thien An, as good and in a quieter section of the street, and with the same celebrated enormous buffet breakfast, a whole meal by itself . Free mountain bikes (you need all the speeds!), motorbikes 4$ manual, 5$ automatic (don’t take the auto, no engine brake, so, you burn the brakes). 272A Phan Ding Phung 063 352 0607 and 0608 thienanHotel@vnn.vn. If you prefer a delightful homestay house, Mrs Nhon’s Mai An, with 6 rooms and a terrace overlooking the hills. 24$, breakfast 1$50. No bicycles; Motorbike rental 10$. Mai An Villa, 7 Nghia Bac Son 063 382 1291 (no email).

Backpackers will find happiness at the two Peace Guest House 64 and 67 Truong Cong Dinh (take the 2nd one, the first one is not well kept). peacedalat@gmai.com.

Lots of restaurants ! First diner at the Art Café, belonging to a local artist; good food, but I prefer the wonderful bistro Nhat Ly (88 Phan Dinh Phung); delicious copious food at low prices (don’t go before 20 :00, it is generally full before) and the more elegant Trong Dông (220 Phan Dinh Phung), where I had 3 wonderful meals (try the eels, divine!).

I started with the visit of the famous Da Lat sites:

- Bao Dai Villa: pure Art Déco and much simpler than I expected for an emperor.

- The Crazy House, an surrealistic architectural delirium reminiscent of Gaudi’s masterpieces; it is also a hotel with 5 crazy rooms. To be seen to believe it !!!

- Linh Phuoc Pagoda, another delirium, but baroque this time.

- The beautiful colonial villas of Tran Hung Dao Street, a true open air Art Déco museum: It seems that they are now part of a hotel complex, but I could not find any Reception.

- The 5-Star Dalat Palace Hotel, another art Déco masterpiece (1932), its little brother the Du Parc (ex-Novotel) and the very colonial restaurant Café de la Poste (atrociously expensive!).

- The railway station, a copy of the Deauville one

The next 2 days of motorcycle rides out of Da Lat, to go to some wonderful places:

• The summit of Lang Biang Mountain(2100 m), from which you have a spectacular view of the entire region, and the marvelous new XQ Historic Village (I “zapped” the Love Park, even the locals think it’s absolutely ridiculous).

• The Dalanta Waterfalls, 5 km South on the Saigon road ; beautiful ; the river then goes into a narrow canyon over which you can ride a cable car. If you don’t like to walk, an impressive roller-coaster goes down to the falls.

I went all the way down the pass to the Prenn Waterfalls; forget them ! Everything is phony, a true Disneyworld for Asian and Russian tourists.

• The very beautiful Elephant Waterfalls –thac voï - 27 km West of Da Lat (take Hoang Van Thu Street and follow the signs « Ta Nung » ; you go down a long pass and arrive in a valley with hills covered with coffee plantations ; cross Ta Nung, direction Nam Ban ; the waterfalls are on the right at the exit of Nam Ban. ATTENTION: going down to the falls is very tricky through a canyon of enormous boulders; you need walking shoes and a sure foot, and forget it if it rained.

• Ankrouët Lake, a nice 20-km ride on Route 722 through the hills North of Da Lat.