We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalat wines

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Dalat wines

Dalat wines

My wife and I were in Dalat last October (2010) and were pleasantly surprised as we found some excellent quality red wine produced and bottled in Dalat. The wine was a Cabernet & Merlot mixture and sold under the “Excellence” Ladofood’s label. We purchased the wine from the Ladofood’s merchant in central Dalat. At that time we bought several bottles at 80 Dong per bottle (4 US$) and actually took some of it home with us. It traveled well and was actually a very good drop of wine when compared with similar wines from Australia and the USA that cost a heck of a lot more.

My wife and I returned to Dalat in February of this year and from our previous wine tasting experience in Dalat we immediately purchased 8 bottles of the same labeled wine as we had purchased before but now at a price of96 Dong per bottle. We went through 7 bottles of the wine while we were in Dalat and Nha Trang and actually had to throw it away. It was awful stuff! The wine tasted nothing like the same labeled wines we had consumed during our visit in last October and, in fact, were highly acidic and some had actually already turned to vinegar. Not wanting to take vinegar home we opened our last bottle in Saigon on our last night in Vietnam and were totally surprised as the wine tasted very much like that we had consumed in October. It was excellent! What a surprise. 1 out of 8 was good! Quality consistency was certainly lacking.

I am wondering if any other travelers to Dalat or indeed Vietnam have had similar experiences with Dalat wines as with the weather that Dalat has there should certainly be some excellent wines grown, produced and available.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dalat wines

I buy it regularly - it's great for unblocking drains.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,727 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dalat wines

CAGV, if you were willing to dig a little deeper into your pocket and pay more than $1 a bottle you might be pleasantly surprised. ;-)

Dikthai, the quality does vary enormously but some eminently quaffable Dalat reds are definitely available throughout Vietnam.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dalat wines

Bones: In my experience, never pay less than $5 for a bottle of wine in Vietnam. It's either Dalat, which is undrinkable unless chilled almost solid, or stuff that wine-producing countries don't consider fit for purpose and dump over here - exhibit A, Passion wine from Chile, which is utterly foul.

You can get good Aussie/Chilean/South African/French wines here for around the $6 mark, so no need to buy "bargains"!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dalat wines

The cheap Dalat red is made from Cardinal grapes with mulberry juice added! Very strange. The cheap white has Cardinal & Chardonnay grapes - just drinkable. Haven't tried the better Dalat wines yet, but will be in Dalat this Thursday, so will give them a try.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
13,018 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dalat wines

For those that drink and enjoy wines - Dalat wines are, in my own experience, best left untouched. Other than for an initial novelty tasting.

There is such a wide choice of wines in VN.

Why settle for inferior wine?

Best regards. Ian

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,251 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dalat wines

I'll never forget DH's initial reaction to his first taste of Da Lat wine, "Hmm, think I've got some Vietnamese tile cleaner here!" His opinion didn't get any better :-)

7. Re: Dalat wines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Da Lat