We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling tour

3 posts
Cycling tour

I am hoping to get some advice on a 3-6 day cylcling tour in Vietnam.

I am a female travelling alone and am a beginner to moderate cycler so don't want anything too hard core.

Any advice on locations and companies to go with I would be very grateful.

thanks/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Cycling tour

My biggest concern is road safety. Mekong would be your best bet, but you would need to get off the main highways. How many klms per day do you plan on doing?

Mekong is as flat as it comes in most parts.

Did you plan on bringing your own bike ,or to hire one?

3 posts
2. Re: Cycling tour

Thanks so much for your feedback. I was hoping to join a group which has equipment.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
3. Re: Cycling tour

Hi,

If you are just beginner, you should join a group, many backpackers who stay at hostel will do cycling, you can join them

if you cant join them, dont do it, traffic here a bit awful and careless rider

Have a safe trip

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Cycling tour

Hey Lucy,

Many of the big-name travel agancies, if not all of them, now have some sort of cycling tour in their program.

For example, SaìgonTourist, which is one of the two government-owned giants, even have week-long tours of the Mekong.

As a beginner-moderate cyclist; however, I think you'd be better of joining day tours at various localities.

It's becoming more and more popular, many local tour operators now offer these tours.

The Mekong is nice; but for variation, if you also decide to do the Phong Nha - Ke Bang national park in central VN (to visit the caves), you can combine it with various cycling trips around the area. The scenery is gorgeous. The hotels and farmstays can provide you with the equipment; some also have guides. In the north, the Ninh Binh area has equally stunning landscape for these cycling trips.

You also have the option to find a free tour like the ones in Hoi An, Da Nang, or Hue.

They can arrange the bike for you.

Cheers,

John

3 posts
5. Re: Cycling tour

thanks so much john

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Cycling tour

I would look for a small travel agent that specializes in cycling tours. There are a few around, you just have to find them. In the Dalat / Nha trang area there is a company called Active Vietnam or Vietnam active. See if you can get in touch with them.

Can Tho, Vietnam
Level Contributor
213 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Cycling tour

You should be cycling in Mekong Delta or Hoi An. The roads are very smooth and rich cultures with more daily life activities, friendly local people and warmful homestay...!

Thanks,

Tony - Mekong Rustic

Charters Towers...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Cycling tour

Hi Lucy

You could try Grasshopper Adventures Cycling Tours as they have several tours that could appeal to you. The Mekong Delta is very easy to ride, they take you on back roads and away from the heavy traffic. The bikes are well maintained and comfortable. You meet the local people who are very friendly and learn about their culture. It doesn't matter if your not a hard core cyclists as the tours are geared for all levels of cycling.

Ben Tre Province...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Cycling tour

You should take a cycling trip throughout many provinces in Mekong. You will have a round trip, though.

Dong Hoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
10. Re: Cycling tour

Hi Lucy,

Why don't you try cycling tour with Mr Shy from Hoi An to Hue and Phong Nha. He is the local and knows the roads very well. Cycling with him, even around Hue only, you will get the best from culture and countryside here in Vietnam.

Hope this helps you finalise your plan well.