We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

Just after having a baffling experience in Rach Gia's Superdong ticket office. Went in, after having done a serious amount of research into the area, looking to get a ferry to the lesser known Nam Du rather than Phu Quoc.

A very disinterested lady informed me that tickets were "sold out" for tomorrow. Okay, I said, let's do the day after tomorrow. No dice. I whipped out my calendar after a few minutes of her pretending not to see me and asked when I can buy a ticket. "Sold out, sold out, sold out..." was her response. "Never?" I asked. "Maybe" was all she said back to me.

It was only after a while of standing there that I finally got the real reason why the tickets were apparently sold out. She said that the police don't accept tickets when foreigners present them. Essentially, the island is now off limits to westerners. Whether it was an off day for her, or a new policy, I'm not sure but I'm sure you can understand my disappointment and I thought others should be aware.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

Have you posted this on the travelfish forums- they have a guide promoting Nam Du- so I'm sure they will appreciate the update. This is a very sad development as I was going to do the same thing.

Is it the same ferry as goes to PQ - can you just buy a ticket to PQ and get off at Nam Du on the way?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

Just posted it on Travelfish there. Unfortunately it's different ferries in different directions. I know there is another company that does the ferry but the lady was very adamant that no foreigners are allowed on the island.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
11,039 posts
248 reviews
3. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

There are still a lot of places in Vietnam that do not allow Foreigners to stay the night. Unfortunately Nam Du is one of them. If it were closer you could do a day trip but alas it's too far for a day trip.

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
874 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

i was talking to a customer today,who is a long time resident of Vietnam,married to a Vietnamese lady,and runs a business in Phu Quoc.He was in the Nam Du island group a week ago,for a few days,and while he was there he was told that the next day,the Vietnamese authorities were not allowing foreigners to visit anymore,and he had to leave.Up until then it was possible to go there,and I have met several people who have done so.Apparently not anymore,the reason why is anybodies guess.The other thing he did say was that a local tour guide had told him that it might be possible,if the police in Rach Gia issued a letter allowing the visit,but that this would take time,and wasn't guaranteed.Next time I am in Rach Gia I will make further enquiries as to why this is the case.But-as of now-no foreigners allowed to visit the Nam Du islands

Edited: 10:23 am, April 10, 2016
Tra Vinh, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
5. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

We just tried this as well and had no luck whatsoever. We spoke to a worker at the ticket office and he informed us that the island is currently off limits to foreigners because it's "too dangerous" and if a foreigner were to get hurt there "the Vietnamese government would be in a very bad spot" with our home governments. Such a sad turn of events. We even tried to show our work permits but they were uninterested.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

How could a foreigner get hurt there - is the traffic as bad as HCM? Or are they worried about heat stroke?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

Currently, there's a SEVERE drought going on for a few months now.

They have ZERO drinking water available on the island. All the wells and reservoirs are completely dry.

Supply from land is very limited and day to day.

So yes, you can get hurt if you start fighting with the local for fresh water. (j/k)

Seriously, the drought is pretty severe this year, not just on the island. Many crops are in great danger as half of the country is way behind in rainfall for 4 months now.

Regards,

John

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,539 posts
8. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

I don't know....., communist country, their country, their decision....

Right or wrong, doesn't really matter.

Decision made.

Go somewhere else.

Scott

Edited: 9:45 am, April 29, 2016
Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

I did some digging and I think this may be temporary based on the monsoon. I was googling for info about this and found this thread but with no real reference to the claim that foreigners are not allowed to go.

I found this link: http://quinnmattingly.com/nam-du-island/ - it is of a foreigner on nam du.

Then i found this guide that talks about Nam Du in detail: phuquocislandguide.com/nam-du-island-vietnam/

Finally I called Superdong: http://superdong.com.vn/rach-gia-nam-du/ | 0914877743 - and they said foreigners can go and many have gone.

I think the ban might just be temporary as the winds change and the rain comes in, but then again the first link i posted, that guy went in June :S

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
11,039 posts
248 reviews
10. Re: Nam Du Island Ferry "Sold Out" Forever

Dear Thunderkat,

I see you found the thread.

I had planned a trip to Nam Du 3 years ago but had to cancel at the last minute so I put it on the back burner. Now I wish I hadn't.

Here's hoping rules may change in the future.