We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a drone to vietnam

Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Bringing a drone to vietnam

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find an information about bringing a small drone to vietnam when I fly from singapore to Hanoi. I read before that drones are banned in some countries. I was looking for some information about vietnam. Is it ok to bring a drone and is it allowed in vietnam immigration? The one I bring is not an expensive but still want to make sure nothing goes wrong. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Prabs

186 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Your answer is here tuoitrenews.vn/society/29767/vietnam-users-n…

Owee58

Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Thank you Owee! I also wanted to know would there be any problem at vietnam immigration at the time entry if I carry one?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Vietnam can be a difficult place to get definitive answers on what can come into the country and what can not.

My guess is you will be ok , but be prepared to lose it if you get the wrong guy at customs.

Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
214 reviews
4. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

I met a man from Denmark who travelled with his family. He brought a drone, a very expensive one with a great camera and took amazing pictures of where I've been staying. It was amazing.

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Then like Ross says .... If the custom guy wants it for himself...

California
Level Contributor
711 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

That's an interesting question. Knowing how the Vietnamese government gets pretty antsy about taking photos of government buildings, military installations, military personnel, police officers, embassies, dams etc ("No Photo !!!") I wonder what they would do if you flew the drone over a restricted area. Bet you could get some awesome photos of Ha Long Bay but they might get upset if you get too close to a naval base or air field or traffic police doing filming traffic police "enforcing" traffic laws. Keep us posted on how it works out if you decide to try it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Maybe disassemble it as much as possible, so it not easily recognisable. I was watching a customs guy at TSN airport on the xray machine after you drop your bags off. I couldn't see his face but I'm sure he was asleep as the bags went through the xray machine.

Edited: 9:29 pm, March 28, 2016
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Thanks so much everyone. :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

The drones are now everywhere in VN.

I've watched countless of footages recorded by foreigners, provincial tourist organizations and the general media all across the country - even in the remote areas.

There's no turning back for VN.

All these new technologies have slowly opened up VN to the concept of true freedom.

But as said above, it's at custom where it counts.

Agree with disassembling as much as you can and store various parts in different luggages if possible.

Cheers,

John

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Bringing a drone to vietnam

Hey, curious to know how this plays out for you. I too will be traveling to Vietnam (Da Nang) with a P3 in tow. Any guidance is appreciated. What I can tell you is that on a previous trip to Hanoi the customs guys had a few questions about a monopod/selfie stick that I was traveling with, but nothing further transpired.

Reply to: Bringing a drone to vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted