We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viettel - How to check remaining balance?

Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
17 helpful votes
Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

Greetings from Hanoi!

So I paid for my SIM at the airport (50000 VND) and topped it off with the MiMax 600MB plan (70000 VND). I read that usually the 50000 VND I paid also gets added to the SIM card, effectively making the SIM free but this was not done for me and I was not about to create a scene at the airport as my ride was waiting for me outside.

Anyhow, I was told I have two accounts or something, I dial *101# and *102#.

For the former, I see that my brand is tomato, activated on a certain date with 0 VND balance.

For the latter, I see:

KM= 35000 VND, noi mang hang thang= 30000 VND. KM noi mang= 35000 d.

I am not sure if this is my usage as the numbers seem pretty static. I also am under the assumption that the MiMax plan is unlimited after my 600MB limit but extremely throttled (50kbps up/down).

Can anyone confirm this as well as advise on how reloading my SIM will work with these two accounts (I think they are two)? Even though the *101# account has a 0 VND balance, I could still make outgoing calls.

Thank you!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
242 reviews
183 helpful votes
1. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

101 is main account and without money in it you wont be able to ring overseas. 102 is your bonus account and that is where your bonus payments (35,000dong in your case) end up and you can make domestic calls using the funds stored there. I would suggest you go to any convenience store and buy 100,000dong top up which will last you for a months travel in Vietnam. Yes that's a whole $5 to last you for the month.

Edited: 5 years ago
Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

Thanks DP, do you know if it matters which account I load the scratch card to? Or is it defaulted to *101#? Also, I assume the credits do not discriminate between voice and data? The 70000 credit I originally purchased is usable for both data and voice? Thanks.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
242 reviews
183 helpful votes
3. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

Default is 101

The 70,000 is for data only. I suggest you buy some credit now.

Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

Okay, definitely planning to load credits, I should note that I have been receiving calls and making them as well though... Not sure how this is possible if the 70000 credit was for data only (also what I paid for). Any ideas?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
242 reviews
183 helpful votes
5. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

Its coming out of 102 account.

Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?
Save

So if I buy the 200000 credit and add it to my account, what type of data charge would it be? Right now I am on the MiMax 600MB plan which may expire in the net few days but when I add the credits, is it just pay per use? If so, what is the rate for data and voice? I am unable to find this on their website.

7. Re: Viettel - How to check remaining balance?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2016
$USD
United States

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.