We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy this odd thing?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I buy this odd thing?

The local school has the dragon as a mascot and wants to prune a hedge in the form of a dragon as is often seen in parks and gardens in Vietnam. They want me to obtain the dragon head, tail and whatever else is used to decorate the pruned shape.

I'd appreciate any advice on where I can buy these. From mid-December to mid-January I will be in Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Tam Ky, Danang and HCMC. Would the flower market on the way into the city from Noi Ba be a possibility.? Or some idea of where to start looking please.

Hopefully

rayza

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I buy this odd thing?

The area west of the Dong Xuan Market (esp on Hang Luoc) has many decorative and colorful items for sale - I would start my search there

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I buy this odd thing?

Thanks. I'll be try there first.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I buy this odd thing?

Rayza

It's great to have a mission, like the search for the dragon.

But I'm worried about how you'll fit in your suitcase.

If it doesn't, an Ozzie welder will be able to make you up one in no time.

DG

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I buy this odd thing?

I think they are flat pieces of plastic that fit together and will be no problem. Previously for schools in the neighbourhood (who all have large numbers of kids from Vietnamese families) I have brought home full sized Lion Dance costumes which needed a box that had held a 21" TV and just fitted in the front seat of a medium sized taxi (much to the amusement of toll collectors who would ask what was this crazy tourist doing carrying around a TV), I bought it from a back street in Go Vap and carried it to Hanoi and back via a couple of other places.. It weighed only 6kg and neither Vietnam nor SIngapore Airlines even blinked about itt. Recently I brought back a Dragon Kite from a shop in Vo Ti Sau in Hue which packed nicely into a more manageable box but is 12 m long when assembled.

5. Re: Where can I buy this odd thing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 15, 2014