We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me on getting to Ban Gioc waterfall.

I assume that you need to travel from Hanoi to Cao Bang and stay the night? Or is it possible to do in a day from Hanoi?

Is there public transport or do you have to go on an organised tour?

And lastly what are the water levels likely to be like in the first two weeks of December?

Thank you.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

If you are adventure travelers, let do it yourself then, there are daily local bus going up and down to Cao Bang few time a day from Hanoi. Tour operator in Hanoi can arrange private tour for you but price would be high as no kind of shared tour on this route.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

You can get public bus from My Dinh bus station to Cao Bang then from Cao Bang get local bus to Trung Khanh. From there it's about 20km to Ban Gioc and the best possible vehicle is a motorbike taxi. About 3km from Ban Gioc is a very nice large cave called Nguom Ngao which is worth a visit as well. December is good time. While the fall is not as big as in rainy season from June to Oct but the water is beautiful and the river is very green/nice.

If you decide to go to Trung Khanh by bus and stay there then there's a VERY simple guesthouse by the market. Cao Bang is very nice area. It's not just about the waterfall. It's beautiful landscape all around. You may want to explore Ba Be Lake on the way as well as other places such as Hang Then Lake and Pac Bo area. There are some very big weekly markets that worth seeing as well. If you have a lot of time then Cao Bang is also linked with Ha Giang.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

I agree with vn_hoangnguyen. But there is also public bus go straight to Ban Gioc waterfall at Cao Bằng station and then you should tell driver drop you off at Ngườm Ngao Cave. This is the best amazing cave I ever seen in Vietnam. From here to Ban Gioc waterfall is about 3km, take motorbike taxi ( XE Ôm ) price is 2$. You can stay overnight here 250,000- 300,000 VND/1 night .

Hanoi - Cao Bằng : 275 km at Mỹ Đình station ( should take first bus in a day at 5:30 )

Cao Bằng - Bản Giốc waterfall :120 km --> it is quite a long way to get there

December is winter in the north of vietnam so it will be very cold there but waterfall is always amazing around the year !.

Good luck !

Jane .

Tarlac, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

I read about the 25 world's most amazing waterfall ban gioc is one of the lists.. I am browsing on how to get there from Hanoi and found your helpful comments! I would like to visit Vietnam and see this amazing falls!

Can you please tell me:

1.) Is there a straight bus from HAnoi to the Ban Gioc Waterfall? Please advise itenerary and how long is the travel?

2.) IS there any close hotels or bed and breakfast close to the falls?

THanks a lot!

UK
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

Let's see what Google says...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Hanoi,+Hoan+Kiem+District,+Hanoi,+Vietnam&daddr=Ban+Gioc+Waterfall,+TL+211,+%C4%90%C3%A0m+Thu%E1%BB%B7,+Cao+Bang+province,+Vietnam&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=21.033333,105.85&sspn=0.15766,0.30899&geocode=FXXxQAEdkCRPBimhHIbZm6s1MTGpF8pye3-I5w%3BFb7AXAEdHXdcBiHbfsqSSsTFKCmfwqcmVo21NjHbfsqSSsTFKA&oq=ban+gioc&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

340km to the falls. (Ignore the time. Google is death defyingly optimistic about travel times in Vietnam.)

I think you can rule out going there and back in a day and enjoying it.

Even Cao Bang to Ban Gioc is about a 200 km round trip.

There are cafes and restaurants at the falls, but I wasn't looking for accommodation, so I'm not sure what's available. Be surprising if there wasn't something nearby. Saigontourist are/were/have building a resort. Google maps turn up a few places for "khách sạn near Ban Gioc Waterfall, TL 211, Đàm Thuỷ, Cao Bang province, Vietnam". I'd imagine they're fairly basic, but could be wrong.

But really, nice as the falls are, more than two or three hours there would begin to wear thin.

It's a long way to go to just see the waterfalls and not spend more time in the region, unless you are holidaying to a tick list...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

Hi! I see you said we can stay overnight at Ban Gioc. What's the name of the place? Is it possible to book?

Thank you!!!

Edited: 8:49 am, February 13, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

Google it.

toidi.net/diem-den-trong-nuoc/du-lich-thac-b… has a couple of places

You'll probably need a Vietnamese speaker to ring up and book for you... Don't know how close to the falls they are. There are a few eating places right at the falls and I imagine that at least one of them has rooms. Easiest way is just to go there early in the day and look around. I cannot imagine that they are overwhelmed by overnight visitors in the area (since there's really nothing there except the waterfall and, nice as it is, it is only a waterfall.).

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

Hi

Jane8988 describe very correct. You could stay overnight at Ban Gioc. Just go there and book it. They are always available room. It located on the way walk to Ban Gioc. Very very easy to see :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
206 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

Hi There!

I suggest you to do the tour like this:

Day 1: Hanoi - Ba Be Lake

Day 2: Ba Be Lake

Day 3: Ba Be Lake - Cap Bang

Day 4: Cao Bang - Ban Gioc Fall - Lang Son

Day 5: Lang Son - Hanoi

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Ban Gioc waterfall

Hi,

Does anybody know whether it's possible to cross the river/cross to the chinese side for a few hours at ban gioc? The classic photos of the falls from the chinese side are beautiful!

Thanks