We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Which Vietnam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Western...
3 posts
14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Hi

We are spending 14 days in Vietnam in May, flying into Ha Noi and out of HCMC. Can anyone suggest a good itinery which is achievable during 2 weeks. Keen for some advice on best internal travel methods too?

thanks

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

With only 14 days your only option for internal travel is flying, but even with that it will be cutting it close. While in the north, May (along ith October) is the best month for visiting Sapa, but if you plan to do that book your train tickets now as May is a very busy month. You'll have to make some hard choices on what to cut out, but the obvious destinations are, from north to south, Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa, Hoi An, HCMC. Here is some information on spending 2 weeks in the north, and you can then cut out some days to make room for the south: …psu.edu/rxj9/Hanoi/2_Week_Itinerary.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Hi Mike,

You can go to the north, spend some days there, and you can also visit hoi an, hue, ha long bay.

Then have some days in the south. ,it's lots of fun in Hồ Chi Minh city.

You can try some vietnamese food, and vist some places.

Enjoy your time,

Perth, Western...
3 posts
3. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

thanks for you feedback guys, appreciate the advise. Sounds like we need to get out skates on to cover north to south in 2 weeks. I'll start checking out internbal flights.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

I would spend : 2 nights Hanoi,

2 nights Halong Bay,

4 nights Sapa including 2 nights on the train,

3 nights Hoi An,

2 night Mekong Delta.

The last night in Ho Chi Minh City

Cheers

ComeAndGoVietnam Team

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
193 reviews
5. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

My itinerary for 14 nights would be

3 nights Hanoi

1 night Halong Bay

3 nights Hoi An

3 nights Hue

3 nights HCMC

1 night Mekong Delta.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
193 reviews
6. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Just to add I would do Hue before Hoi An and fly there the evening after the Halong Bay cruise so that you won't loose a night, there is a 19.20 flight from Hanoi which gives you time to return to Hanoi pick up your luggage and go to the airport.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
7. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

May is a good time to visit Sapa as the rice terraces are ripening, creating spectacular scenery. For 2 weeks: Hanoi - Halong - Sapa - Hoi An - Mekong Delta - Phu Quoc. I would just spend 1 night in Saigon, it is hot and bustling. flight is the way to go for those with limited time.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Agree with the draft itinerary of Chrella but with the 3 flexible nights in Hue. Hanoi, Halong, Hoi an, HCMC, Mekong delta are must sees. While 3 nights left you could spend in Sapa if you're interested in stunning landscape of green rice terraces or Nha Trang if you love the beach.

Cheers!

Thu Huyen

Perth, Western...
3 posts
9. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Thanks to everyone for your posts. Really helped to nut out a plan for the trip. Any others suggestions are welcome of course but I'll let you know the high and lows when we get back otherwise.

Cheers

Chelmsford, Essex UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: 14 Day in Vietnam, What to do?

Hi

How did your 14 day trip go? My husband and I are going at the end of February, HCMC to Hanoi. I'd really like to hear how it went.

Annie.