We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

sydney
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

Hi there,

As part of our family trip to Vietnam I would like to go on a few (easy) cycling tour with the kids who will be aged 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 especially in Ninh Binh and Mai Chau as I think it would be a nice way to enjoy the scenery.

We will be there in January so hopefully we will get cool temperatures during the day?

Is it possible to find kids size bicycles? What about baby seats for my 2 yr old?

Many thanks.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

Check the market/ shops while you are in Hanoi.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

You don't see even Vietnamese kids of that age riding bikes on real streets, they will ride in alleys with little traffic.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

If you have private transportation, then I strongly suggest that you buy bicycle for your first child. I bought one at 90 USD and it's very good condition. After the whole visit then you can re-sell or give it to a kid somewhere.

Baby seat is available in Hanoi to buy as well. I don't see baby seat or bicycle for kids in Mai Chau/ Ninh Binh.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

I think your kids should not ride themselves but just sit in the back. You should buy seat in Hanoi or ask the operator if they can provide child friendly bike that have something protect the kids putting their legs in the spokes. Roads in Ninh Binh are flat and paved, Mai chau is mostly ok but only the part to Van Village is quite steep. Also most village paths in Mai Chau are not paved and may become slippery if rain. January is usually coldest month in north Vietnam.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

Hey Marcandflo,

Would you let your kids ride along Parramatta Rd during peak hour or cross the Harbour bridge in traffic lanes.

Hopefully the answer was no. Now times that by 100 and you are getting close to the hazards involved!!!

You may find some nice easy tracks thru rice paddies in some villages but then you have to find a bike to ride if you aren't lugging them around with you.

I don't mean to be a scaremonger, I am just being really realistic.

Never seen a babyseat on a pushy in Vn and that to me is a 'tell'.

Apart from that, I think the kids will love Vn. Just keep a really firm grip on their hands.

Mark

Macedonia, Ohio
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

I agree with Mark, kids that age on bicycles in VN is not very practical or safe except perhaps in small towns with very little traffic. VN is a great place for kids to explore, but probably not on bikes.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
338 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

I've been in Vietnam when my son was 10mos, 2yrs and 4 yrs old. I had the idea to bike with him, but never could find a workable, safe solution, unfortunately. I would be interested to hear if you are able to make it work. Please come back and update :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,080 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

I agree with Sheath27 - VN just has too many hazards that we just don't see in the West. I even advise against any kind of local boat travel/cruise in VN with kids - too many hazards that don't appear until disasters occur.

Edited: 1:49 pm, February 27, 2013
sydney
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

Hi Everyone,

I should have made it clear that I am NOT intending to cycle on main roads in main cities. In fact my question was related to cycling in Tam Coc to enjoy the scenery and maybe Mai Chau conditions permitting, but that is all!

So what is your advice, do you think we can find a tour that could lend us some bikes in Tam Coc for 2 hours with a baby seat? If not what are the alternatives?

Thanks

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycling with kids in Vietnam - are baby seats available?

We have not been to the places you mention but have cycled in Hoi An with our then 15 month old. The places we stayed had baby bike seats or they found one for us. We took our own bike helmet for baby and it was really relaxing riding to each place and looking at the scenery instead of catching a taxi everywhere. There was traffic but not like HCMC or Hanoi. We felt it was quite safe. It shouldn't be a problem getting a baby bike seat but if you know your accommodation email the places before you leave to get a definite answer.