We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Vietnam
Search

Any experience of teaching?

Hemsworth, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
Any experience of teaching?
Save

Hi has anyone got any experience of teaching (TEFL) in Vietnam please?

I'm hopefully heading out that way in August and, fingers crossed, will be starting work in September if I can find the right role.

Just wondered if anyone else was doing/has done anything similar in Vietnam? Any advice? Pointers? Schools to approach/avoid? Volunteer placements perhaps?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers :)

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
29 reviews
71 helpful votes
1. Re: Any experience of teaching?
Save

Crezza, please visit the web site New Hanoian (expat Hanoi website) and do a search under ask ANH and you will find TONS of threads about teaching in Vietnam. Under the Reviews section you will also find reviews of different schools from teachers (which school didn't pay them, which school treated them poorly, etc.). The website is:

http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/

Hemsworth, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Any experience of teaching?
Save

That's spot on, thank you :)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Any experience of teaching?
Save

HCMC is the best place, loads of schools/colleges around. For best working conditions try & get a full-time contract at an established private college - Cetana PSB, ERC & Melior are all good.

But the best teaching gig to get is in-house corporate stuff - means you're working daytimes rather than evenings/weekends, you're teaching highly motivated people, and you get a good salary & paid holidays. But you need to be on the ground & get networking to find these jobs.

Check out www.vietnamworks.com for vacancies.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,874 posts
90 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Any experience of teaching?
Save

Just curious Crezza as to your qualifications?

Do you have any? TESOL (not just an internet course - I mean proper ones) or similar or are you a teacher? Primary? Secondary?

Would you be happy being taught by someone with no qualifications? Or to have your kids taught by someone with no qualifications?

Too many people think that because they are a native speaker of english that this alone makes them suitable to 'teach' overseas. Surely Vietnamese kids, just like those in any other country deserve to be taught by properly qualified and accredited teachers.

cheers

helen

Hemsworth, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Any experience of teaching?
Save

Thanks for the link. If its anything as good as the last one, it'll be awesome! :)

Hemsworth, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Any experience of teaching?
Save

Hi Helen

I've got all the TEFL qualifications you can get, I'm ITOL qualified (trained trainer stuff) and I've got many years of large corporate experience in contract/commercial law and a whole host of other useful stuff.

To add to this, I've been teaching in my own time for the past year to get proper experience. This has always been free of charge and the classes have been groups of upto 20, plus individual 1:1 lessons; all ages too.

I understand your point and although it doesn't apply to me, I think there will always be people willing to take a punt on having lessons from someone without qualifications - if they just want basic conversational skills that is. I wouldn't put myself in that position to be honest but, some people are just glad to be able to "chat" in English - especially if they can't afford proper lessons. Everytime you go to a foreign country and when you interact - if it's a non-English speaking country, that's exactly what you do isn't it? Anyway, like I say, I get your point! :)

7. Re: Any experience of teaching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:40 am, June 18, 2013