We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Out of curiosity, what do you guys buy/stock up on while in Vietnam to bring back home? Perhaps any products that are cheaper than home, or items or food you can't find back in your country? Or maybe even services you get done while in VN (eye glasses, outfits made, etc).

I'll be returning in 2 weeks - YES!!! Trying to come up with a list of items to remember to buy, and things to have done before I leave! One thing I'd love to be able to bring home would be fruits that can't be found back home! MmMmMM....

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
203 reviews
1. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

On the food side; Phu Quoc pepper and fish sauce (you have to be very devious to get the fish sauce out), and one thing we wished we'd brought back but didn't; Vietnamese coffee beans.

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

I bought Jasmin teas and preserved fruits. Embroidered pictures are nice for gifts.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Not every time, but often:

Spices (for bun bo hue, pho; chili, pepper, curry), chop sticks, certain medicines, eye glasses, sandals, mango, dried meat, dried fruit, cashew nuts, coffee, jewelry, bitter tea (trá đắng), green tea.

In the old days:

polo and T-shirts, but I have enough now to last a life time.

bundeena
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
216 reviews
4. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Dragon pearl balls (blooming tea) weasel coffee,packet of banx xoi mix,pepper,

packets of spice mix.lauquerware.teeth cleaned and whitened at dentist.DVDS

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Hi OnandOffResident,

Apart from the polos, just curious as to what other "label" items of clothing they might have. Is there any similarity to the clothes in China do you (or anyone else) know by any chance please??

Many thanks

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Nessnem, anything your heart desires. What you have to bear in mind is that there is a difference (I think) between regular visitors to the country and noobs. We would find ourselves attracted to different items. I would never, for one thing, find myself dragging a non la (pointed hat made from leaves) home, as I find it tacky.

(Wouldn't buy a Yankee's cap in the US either). It is just so cliché.

The reason I mentioned the Polo shirts was that they were a dollar a piece, and even though they (all 24) have now each seen countless washing machine cycles I still wear them (at home).

My taste in clothes has change, I now prefer short sleeved dress shirts (even in Vietnam), so I don't look too much like a tourist :-), I have not seen a big selection of those, though. Because I am 6'2", and even if I consider myself slender I have a hard time finding anything that fits the upper body, except for t-shirts and similar informal clothing.

Edited: 6:36 am, January 23, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Ok thanks for clearing that up!! Yep just back from the States myself & no Yankees cap either!! The reason I ask is because my brother travels monthly to china and brings back loads of stuff for my sister & her 4 kids. And as we travel in Asia regularly, I usually bring her stuff back too, but it's never as good as the Chinese clothing. And not the same variety either.

Thanks for the feedback.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

The opticians here are fantastic, so when my fam & friends visit they always take home lots of pairs of cheap glasses & contact lenses.

Also coffee, the tin coffee filter/drip thingys, makeup, skin creams, a new haircut/color etc (not that u can put that in a bag lol) & of course dvd's.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,423 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Bundeena, you do know that weasel coffee is an illegal import to Australia, don't you? Regular coffee isn't, but weasel coffee is.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Items you stock up on from VN to bring back home?

Isn't most weasel coffee fake anyway? The real stuff is very expensive...