We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling to VIetnam in March with VIetnam AIrlines from Gatwick to Hanoi. Does anybody know how good this service is ?

For example, age of aircraft, in flight entertainment, reliability re time ?

Thanks,

DD

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

From my experience (short haul only) Vietnam Air is fine. Those who have flown long haul report uncomfortable flights - read it and weep:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/vietnam.htm

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

For a really enjoyable flight experience, I suggest Asiana Airlines via Seoul from LHR

(GBP677. roundtrip when you depart London on one of the first 3 Thursdays in March)

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

Air Asia have promo on now $584 Gatwick to HCMC via KL.

Cheers Ross

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

There is much to be said for a direct flight, but Cathay Pacific is having a sale at the moment and there are flights from about £549 (Heathrow to Hanoi via Hong Kong). They have several flights a day and it's important to choose one with the shortest flying and transit times, which can involve juggling your dates a little.

Air Asia is good when there are promo prices but beware the add-ons: charges are made for food, cushions, blankets, drinks etc.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

Air Asia X is discontinuing all European service in the near future - see the Air Travel forum.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

Advantage - it's direct, ie 11-12 hours instead of 16+ via BKK/Singapore/HK/Doha.

Disadvantage - it's Vietnam Airlines.

Unless they are significantly cheaper, I'd go the extra 4 hours on a decent airline. VN Airlines is OK for short domestic flights but long-haul, please god no...

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
982 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

I'm interested in these comments too as we are looking at options for flying from the UK. Good to get the feedback that VN is possibly not the option to go for on the long haul route although I was sorely tempted becuase of the directness of it.

london
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

I've booked Vietnam airline direct flights in April, partly because the price was good, but mainly for the direct flight. We flew to Chiang Mai last year via Bangkok and Abu Dhabi and it was so exhausting. However good the airline (unless going 1st class of course) the seats get uncomfortable and the food uninteresting. However, I would be interested to know what the main negatives are with flying Vietnam airlines long haul.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

In the Sunday Times today, Trailfinders are advertising Vietnam Airlines, £439 to HCM or Hanoi ,add 7 days beach stay from £269. No idea what time of the year this is or even if it is a return flight. I made a quick check on Trailfinders web to check out 3 weeks return to Hanoi in Feb. 2012 with Vietnam Air and it came up £1269!. So perhaps the flight is only one way or I pressed Business class option., However, usually Trailfinders do advertise return.flights rather than one way. It might be worth a telephone call to Trailfinders for details.

Hi Tim at Come and Go,

I am interested in your comment on Vietnam Airlines. In the last 15 months I have taken 2 longhaul flights to the Far East with Cathay Pacific and Thai plus 2 flights to the Caribbean on UK chartered flights. In terms of food, comfort etc. i can say there was no noticeable difference between any of them. So I am just wondering what the disadvantages of Vietnam from UK might be?

has anyone made this trip yet?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam AIrlines - London Gatwick to Hanoi

Hi,

I am also having trouble with the VIetnam AIrlines website. It states that they are currently doing a promotion London to HCM for a price of £648 including all taxes etc, book anytime from 1st Jan-31st March. When i goto search it comes up with a price over £1k inc taxes. Their website appears to be sh*t! Not the first time i''ve seen a promo offer advertised but when you goto search or book it you can't find it! Does anyone know how to contact vietnam airlines regarding this problem? I would really like to book my flight soon, i plan to travel in March. But i just can't afford to pay over a grand when air asia are so much cheaper!