We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

Hi,

I'm travelling to vietnam in a few days and I have 3 internal flights during my stay. How long before the flight departure should I get to the airport? Is an hour enough?

Thanks!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

An hour is enough, but check beforehand whether the flight has been delayed. It does happen.

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

I'll second that. Not only check whether it is delayed but check if you are still on it !!!!!!!! I know some people have flown Vietnam Air with no problems at all but we recently had 3 domestic flights with them and all had one or more time changes. We even turned up for a flight out of Nha Trang only to be told at check in that we had been bumped off it and put on the next flight. No explanation why. Unfortunately the next flight didn't connect with an ongoing flight out of Ho Chi Minh and as a result we spent 16 hours in transit and waiting for flights, finally arriving at Bangkok at 2.30 am the following morning with two very grumpy kids. So yes, be warned.... check and double check beforehand. If all is well, an hour should be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
476 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

sunnygirltrav...

So yes, be warned.... check and double check beforehand. If all is well, an hour should be fine.

--------------

One reason I always check-in 2 hours before. If you're first in the queue you're hardly likely to be bumped just because the airline has sold too many tickets. I find the time soon goes.

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

69bertie, there is no doubt some truth to that but we were amongst the first to check in (or at least attempt to) so that didn't work for us.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

My rule is always 2 hours even for an internal flight, I prefer to have time for a coffee than be stressed out.

Country Victoria
Level Contributor
88 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

We have 2 internal flights in our upcoming trip next week and I have just been advised by my VN Travel agent that one of them, ( Rach Gia - Phu Quoc ) has been totally cancelled!! We will now travel by speed boat.

And the other has a time change! At least we know now and not when we rocked up to the airport! I will double check the remaining flight the day before!

Mentioned in this post
Rach Gia
Rach Gia
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
7. Re: Vietnam Airlines - Internal flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 25, 2012