We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

Hi all,

I have worked out a 30 Day itinerary for March/April and it appears to be very "busy" covering most of Vietnam. Am I biting off too much?

Please review and any comments would be appreciated.

2 nights Saigon - Get over some Jet lag

3 nights Phu Quoc - Relax & chill out before really taking off

3 nights Can Tho - explore the Mekong Delta

3 nights Saigon - Explore the city

2 nights Nha Trang - Check out the area/beach

4 nights Hoi An - visits to villages and explore Hoi An

3 nights Hanoi - Look around Hanoi

4 nights Sapa - Can Cau and Bac Ha Markets, Ethnic villages

3 nights Hanoi - day trips to surrounding area & villages

2 nights Halong Bay - Paloma Cruise

1 night Hanoi - pack for flight to Bangkok

Is this doable for 2 in their mid 50's, reasonably fit who have travelled in SEA on several prior occasions?

What do you think?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

I'd say too many stops, but perhaps I am just getting too old, still fit though.

5 days in Saigon is a waste, in my opinion, especially since you will have visited the Mekong Delta already.

If you must see both Nha Trang and Hoi An, change the lengths of stay so you get more time in Nha Trang. Exploring the city of Hoi An won't take 4 days. There is more to do in Nha Trang.

You could cut down Sa Pa to 3 days.

Try to save 2 days all-together and visit Huê .

For all your travels, except Sa Pa, Ha Long, Hoi An-Huê, count on travel by air, or else you will spend 1/3 of your allotted 30 days in transit. Also count on having to spend a little time on finding accommodation that suits you.

Other than that, your itinerary covers the usual paths and you will have a very interesting vacation.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

I'd say you have it about right apart from the north. 6 nights in Hanoi is way too much, unless you plan to head out to Mai Chau or Ninh Binh. Better to cut some of these nights and spend some time in Hue or the central highlands.

Also I wouldn't spend all 3 nights in Can Tho - split it between Can Tho, Ben Tre and Chau Doc, and also make sure you get to visit Sa Dec and Tra Vinh.

I certainly wouldn't cut down on Hoi An and add those days to Nha Trang, in fact personally I would skip Nha Trang altogether and replace it with Hue.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
668 posts
3 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

Too much time in Ho Chi Minh City, cut out Nha Trang as it is quite touristy, should visit Hue for 2/3 days, 3 nights in Can Tho only is a bit much. I think 4 nights in Sapa includes one in Bac Ha.

Cheers.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,581 posts
32 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

You might want to add a couple of days to Nha Trang and include Hue and Danang area for the 4 nights in Hoi An. Perhaps also reduce Saigon and Hanoi by a couple of nights, and spend a night in Dalat.

Here is a link to the first of a series of pages that may help you with destinations.

owee58.com/2010/04/saigon-and-the-mekong/

Happy planning

Owee

www.owee58.com

Melbourne
Level Contributor
159 posts
71 reviews
119 helpful votes
5. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

I agree with too much time in Saigon & Hanoi - they certainly don't need that many days. Add Hue to the trip & don't cut down too much on Hoi An, it is a lovely place and even if you run out of things to do here, its a great place to relax and wind down anyway. I found Nha Trang too touristy to spend too much time there - however still worth the visit.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

Thanks for your replies. I have gone over the itinerary and with our arrival times etc there are some nights that we basically will arrive and not do anything until the next day.

This is the case for HCMC when we arrive a 7:00pm and have the next day in the city before flying to Phu Quoc at 10.ooam the following day.

Also the time in Hanoi, we propose to go to see Trang An Grotto on a day trip as well as visits to Tho Ha and Bat Trang - not to mention a day for the "other half" to go shopping!!!

Will try to make it to Hue instead of Nha Trang as we are not really interested in the beach scene of bars and music. Would prefer something a bit quieter with some character and culture to occupy our time.

Thanks again to all who replied.

7. Re: Itinerary for 30 Days in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 pm, February 13, 2012