We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Travelling as a family with 3 kids - 16,13 & 11. Booking accomodation is NO fun - everything is for 4 people only .... If anyone can provide any experience, recommendations, tips or info to help us? Looking at Ho Chi Minh, Hoi An, Halong Bay and Hanoi over a 2 week period starting 15 Sept 2008. Thanks in advance !!

Mentioned in this post
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
576 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,403 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Surfers Paradise
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

SEQ G'day

Thank-You for your very kind posting to us. The only knowledge that we have to share is that the Golden Sun in Ha Noi has family rooms for a very reasonable price. www.goldensun-hotel.com. You may wish to revisit our forum titled 'Warts and All' as we have answered a few more questions.

You will have a great time...

Fozzie and OnlyJuan

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
257 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Hi We stayed in 3* accommdation during the time we were there. We also travelled with 3 teenagers and booked two rooms. Much easier that way and we (Mum and Dad) also got to have a holiday! The rooms often were not that big and trying to squeeze 5 people in would have been a nightmare. The only hotel we stayed in that did not have a pool was the AnAn in Saigon, hard to find a cheapish hotel with a pool there. Most of the time the kids were either on the same floor as us or one below or above. Often only two or three rooms to a floor. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me.

Tracey

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
560 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
3. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:50 am, September 10, 2011
Hanoi Vietnam
Level Contributor
963 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

SEQer,

With kids that age it might be fun to try to learn a few words of Vietnamese together before you come.

Learn greetings and numbers 1- 10 and then practice the latter by reading number plates in the traffic.

There are lots of websites for learning Vietnamese and many of them have audio files so you can hear the pronunciation.

Ho Chi Minh City...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Has any one out there had experience of the Hanoi Pacific Hotel, which has Deluxe rooms with 2 double beds for for family ?

Thanks in advance !

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Vietnam Advisor? With a question that sounds suspiciously like a recommendation? hmmm....

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

I'd be looking at getting 2 rooms side by side in the cheaper hotels since your kids are older. The Indochine Hotel in HCM is a good option, rooms are cheap and its in a really good area. Deluxe rooms at the Indochine have a double and a single.

We stayed at the Ancient House in Hoi An and it was wasn't too bad either. I know that you can get connecting rooms at the Ancient House. We booked them through Ivivu and we booked the Indochine direct online. Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Indochine Hotel
Indochine Hotel
93 Reviews
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Indochine Palace
Indochine Palace
1,601 Reviews
Hue, Vietnam
Ancient House
Ancient House
404 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Canberra, AU
Level Contributor
455 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

We only had two kids with us, ages 14 and 15, but we always needed two rooms. I think they do 'triples' though, so I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get the three kids in the one room. Maybe email a few places you are considering staying and ask them.

In many cases our kids were on a different floor as we couldn't get two rooms next to each other. Given their ages (as with the ages of your kids) we didn't think that was a problem. The kids weren't too crazy about it the first few nights, but got used to it soon enough as they became more comfortable with being in VN.

In some cases we'd get a cheaper room for the kids and a nicer or bigger one for us - the kids would usually hang out with us in the evenings anyway, and really only slept in their room. So it was good to have a main room big enough for 4 people to be in for a few hours without being too cramped.

Don't know if your kids are like this yet, but ours would sleep in very late - I think the maids and hotel staff found this a bit strange!

Dom

Inverell, Australia
Level Contributor
387 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Hi SEQ,

Our family of four spent a month in VN over Christmas and found most accommodation was for 3 people! Youngest slept on roll out mattresses in some places, other places we booked a suite in a 3 star hotel. Plenty of room for five in these.

My favourite tips:

Print yourself a conversion chart from this website.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

I used it all the time.

I used this site to check out what to expect weatherwise..

…virtuallythere.ca/weather/wpopmstr.htm

I scanned all our important documents and emailed them to myself - didn't need them but we were first time travellers and it was good to know we could reproduce them if needed. I had reduced and laminated our passports which came in very handy for changing money when the hotel had your passport.

Eat all the local specialties in Hoi An - they are fantastic! The Japanese Restaurant called Sakura near the waterfront has great Vietnamese food. And just a couple of doors down is where you should have dessert - The Cargo Club. For lunch the Champa is a few doors further down from the Cargo Club. Great value.

We missed the chocolate buffet in Ho Chi Minh city but I'm sure your kids would love it.

Hire bikes to ride out to the beach at Hoi An. You have to pay a guy to park them in a parking lot just before the beach and I'm sure we paid too much but what the heck!

Your kids will love it, although sometimes you may not realise it until you hear them relaying stories to others when you are back home.

Sorry - I've gone on a bit too long.

Have a great trip.

Would love to hear how you go.

Cheers,

Search

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Sakura
Sakura
732 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Cargo Club Cafe & Restaurant
Cargo Club Cafe...
5,497 Reviews
Hoi An, Vietnam
Brisbane
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Travel - Any tips from anyone?

Hello and thanks everyone - especially sunbird (I was born in Mackay, djk and search - I will follow your instructions - thanks very much for all your great experiences - this time next week we will be there - although I feel like I have been there for the last few weeks with all the planning!

Tracey