We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December and January Weather

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
December and January Weather

For some time now, I've wanted to visit Vietnam. I'm hoping to use ff miles, which means booking as far in advance as possible. I'm also thinking of December timeframe (that would be December 2009 - a long way off!), because I'd get almost an extra week off work with Christmas, Boxing Day, etc.

But what's the weather like? We'd like to start in the north (Hanoi) and then head south. Sapa sounds appealing but I understand it can get quite cold. We'd probably have 3 weeks in total, and I'd also like fit in a few days in Cambodia. Are we setting ourselves up for cold wet weather for most of the trip?

Thanks in advance.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
560 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: December and January Weather

Hi,

I found this site really helpful

www.veloasia.com/resources/vnweather.html

Have a great trip

C.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December and January Weather

Thanks very much. That site was great. Looks like we'll continue to plan for December / January timeframe.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December and January Weather

We will be there december/january but are expecting it to be cold. We are catching a train to SaPa on Dec 25th but are going asuming it will be very cold (not by canadian standards) take note, some people say it can snow. The risk is it can be extremely foggy. We going anyhow!!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December and January Weather

We were in Ha Noi and Sa Pa in mid-January. The first couple of days in Ha Noi was t-shirt and light wrap weather. Sa Pa was freezing and foggy (but dry) and we were glad we had brought thermal underwear. Back in Ha Noi it was chilly enough to keep the thermals on. It was dry the whole time we were in VN.

5. Re: December and January Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 08, 2009