We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we are now in Nha Trang

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
we are now in Nha Trang

Hi again

we are now in Nha Trang so thought i'd copy some of an email & save typing twice!

We went out tonite & wanted to go downtown so we waved a taxi down & he pulled across the traffic & cut a motorbike off, the bike skidded & the guy fell off in the middle of the road. The taxi driver didn’t even get out & seeif the guy was ok. He just sat there yelling out to us - taxi? We couldn’t believe it. The guy nearly got run over it was awful. i was nearly sick. So we decided not to get in his taxi & walked the other way. Further down the road we waved down another taxi & got in it but the other driver waited up the road to see where we went & then got on the 2 way to our driver & babbled, our driver was laughing & i asked him was it the other guy & told him what had happened but he pretended not to understand me. He drove & drove & we finally got there & it cost us 60,00VND so we payed him. I should have known we were being ripped but i didn’t know where we were & he dropped us in a street not sure where. Anyway we shopped for a couple hrs & walked around & decided to go back to hotel & have dinner here somewhere. Taxi back cost us 33,000Vnd! we were so ripped off, but you ,live & learn!

Anyway we are going sightseeing tomorrow if its not so hot, it was stinking here today thought i was going to melt. Had to come back to hotel & shower & have a nap.

Not a great start to our time here but i'm sure tomorrow will be better.

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

Dear Robyn,

Hope the weather is fine for your tour tomorrow.

While in Nha Trang, you should try some restaurants like Truc Linh 3 near Sinh Cafe office on Biet Thu street or Lac Canh restaurant near Dam market

Have a drink at Nha Trang Sailings Club very close from your Dream hotel

If you have time, take a taki to visit Thap Ba hot mineral mud bath center

Please go to bed early tomorrow night because you will have an early flight to Da Nang at 07:30 AM

Jason

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

Hi Redgum,

I have enjoyed reading about your experiences in VN. I have experienced the same type of incident you described firsthand during my visits to VN. It's rather unnerving to experience and seemingly somewhat callous. Unfortunately when an accident occurs in Vietnam and tourists are even peripherally involved, sometimes the tourists are blamed and made financially responsible for the damage and/or injuries. Police will sometimes "request" a "fine" be paid on the spot to avoid any additional trouble for the tourist in question. It could be that the first driver was trying to spare you the hassle.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

chalk it up to experience reddie- horrible thing to happen, but, it's all part and parcel. try not to let it spoil your holiday.

when you get up to Hanoi, be sure to only take Mai Linh Taxi - you will not have any problem with them - well, either Mai Linh or taxi's with name of hotel's on their side doors are good too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

I would skip Sailing club, was there last month they have cover charges of 100,000 vnd , oh they did give 1 free drink.....many came in and found out of the cover charge they leave....nothing really special once inside, music was ok...

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

Hi reddie,

Have enjoyed your trip updates. Accidents like the one you described are unfortunately common,especially in hanoi. If you can fit it in try a meal at the GIA restaurant on tran quang khai st.

very good vietnamese tucker. How is your mum handling the pace?

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
941 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

Hi Redgum, what an experience !!! all part and parcel of travel, sounds like you really went to town with your shopping.

Jason has just confirmed our trip with him on the Mekong Delta on the 22nd August,sent me some beautiful photos of his wedding.

Keep the posts up they are real good

Carole

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

oops i missed the replies to this one!

I'm about to post another Nha Trang report so hope you all catch that

x

cincinnati
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

"we were so ripped off, but live and learn"

How exactly is that learning? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice.....you know the saying. Thats more like just not learning and playing the fool, getting ripped off. Hard to plead ignorance, of not knowing it was coming. But you did it with a smile and made a taxi driver happy. I havent read your other posts, but I'm sure you made many a vendors happy along the way.

nsw
Level Contributor
785 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

oh poor Robby

Your holiday to Vietnam really scarred you hasnt it?

We learnt because then we knew how much it should cost to get into town, so i spose thats where we learnt.

As for making some vendors happy i bet i did.

I also gave money to some kids playing in the street, spose in your books that makes me a fool too? I also gave some litle pins to some sweet girls playing on the path beside the river in Hue, how idiotic of me?

Just because you didnt enjoy yourself there why do you continuously slag off at everyone who did? I just wouldnt go back to Nha Trang if i didnt like it but i loved the reclining Buddha & the other big one. I loved watching the monks chanting & doing their procession through the temple. I loved the cable car across to the Vinpearl resort. I loved the resturant we had lunch & fruit shakes in while we were there. I would have missed all the good things.

There are good & bad things in everyday life & you have to expect these things in another country. So please stop bagging everyone out. We have all been overcharged or had things happen to us in our world no-one lives in a fairy floss land so maybe you need to rethink your comments before posting them. or maybe you could just move on & get over it.

Texas
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: we are now in Nha Trang

Many thanks for your Vietnam trip reports redgum !