We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peanut allergy

Hexham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
151 reviews
peanut allergy

I'm going across Vietnam in August with my family, my daughter has a peanut allergy - can anyone provide me with a translation of "does this have peanuts in it?"

California
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: peanut allergy

"does this have peanuts in it?" "Co dau phong trong day khong?" if you are in HCMC and Mekong areas, but if you are in HANOI and the North, it would be " Co lac trong day khong?"

Good luck,

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: peanut allergy

might like to see these previous posts as well

tripadvisor.com/…6770009

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: peanut allergy

You got problems because peanut allergy can be triggered by anything previously cooked in peanut oil or utinsils used to cook peanuts.

So your translation may be undestood literally to mean has this meal got peanuts in it.But if they answer , 'No' well what about what was cooked in it just prior?

Asians may not understand your peanut allergy.

In Asian culture peanuts have usually been cooked for eating.Whereas in Western diets peanuts have usually been uncooked...peanut butter...where roating has not not chemically altered or neutralised the proteins that give rise to allergies such as cooking does.

And because of awareness of peanut allergy, in our countries we understand the neccessity of complete separation of peanuts from cooking and eradication of traces from cooking utinsils, Asians may not.Ask my wife at her childcare centre...

You better have a really good translator to get your message across...

Stay home.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: peanut allergy

Sorry,, should read...or stay home.

Hexham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
151 reviews
5. Re: peanut allergy

Thnaks for everybody's assistance. We are just back from an amazing holiday in Vietnam and had no real problems at all. The use of peanut oil seems to be diminishing and the only issue we had was where eanuts were sprinkled on salads etc as a garnish and somehow that got past our translations - but very visible and only happened twice in 16 days.

6. Re: peanut allergy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 pm, September 29, 2009