We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

Hi all.

I have read a lot about tons of taxi scams in Vietnam, including scams with reputed companies such as Mai Linh and Vinasun. Since taxis are the most convenient mode for commuting in Hanoi and HCMC, I wanted to know how reliable/safe is the Grab app in Vietnam and are there any risks with Grab cabs such as the driver asking for wrong amount/extra amount after reaching destination, etc?

Thanks in advance

33 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
110 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

I used grab sometimes and it is reliable and safe. You can search place you want to go and it shows cost and name of driver when you confirm . I think it is quite safe to use grab now , you only pay amount which is shown so no scams

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

Thanks a lot for the reply. Much appreciated.

Cheers!!

Level Contributor
105 posts
3. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

as safe and reliable as using uber in other countries

Edited: 5:14 pm, August 18, 2018
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

Thanks a lot for the word of assurance!! :D

Level Contributor
184 posts
18 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

If you are a female I would be very wary of them....there have been a host of posts in expat forums, about females being sexually harrassed, both verbally & physically, by grab drivers.....a number of women have had their private parts groped by Grab Motorbike drivers...

The stories seem to have increased since Grab drove off Uber, & seized the monopoly....

5 posts
6. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

I've used them a few times during my week in Vietnam. Once grabbike driver took a wrong, long road and asked for more money. I gave him more, but then wrote a comment when submitting his score. Grab gave a coupon for the extra-paid money. Nice.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

Hi all, a follow-up to the main query. I have heard that the grab drivers cancel bookings of tourists quite commonly since they don't understand English. Is it true?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,253 posts
50 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

Yes, they might cancel bookings from tourists (or non-Vietnamese) if they have to call you to confirm the address. But they only do this when it is a address difficult to find and more common with GrabCar than with GrabBike.

Also, I noticed that at peak time Vinasun is actually cheaper than GrabCar.

1 post
9. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

I just got scam in Vietnam, we order grab at that time and suddenly there is a white shirt guy coming and told us that the grab driver that we are waiting is his friends and he told the white shirt guy to pick us up because there is a traffic jam. so we just hop on into his car. and suddenly he told us that he want to go home and we will meet our new driver on the street. this driver is insane. He briefly take my brother in law money because they said we have to give the money to the first guy. and after that when we want to pay he told us that he does not have the change. when we are searching for smaller bills suddenly he take my brother wallet and search for smaller bills and take my brother’s yuan (chinese money) for his child for the luck. I don’t know why we just stand on it. after he is gone we just realize that my brother’s money is gone ($200) and the place that we are stop is not our destination.. so please becareful.. If someone come to you and say that they are a friend of grab driver don’t believe it..

The Hague, The...
1 post
1 review
10. Re: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam

How could you be so trustworthy? I mean...

Reply to: How reliable is Grab app in Vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted