We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines to choose/avoid

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines to choose/avoid

This is a pretty general question, but I'm planning a trip to Vietnam next spring. I'm looking through the vast number of available flights out of Vancouver, Canada and not sure which airlines to go with and/or to avoid. I flew to Singapore on Cathay Pacific several years ago and it was excellent. So, that's one of the options.

The best price going is China Airlines to Tawain and a connection with Vietnam airlines. I think Vietnam airlines is a pretty budget airline, but it's only a few hours so I can handle a basic flight. It's the longer let I'm most concerned about.

So, the airlines I'm trying to choose between right now are:

China Airlines - about $200 less per person

EVA Air

Cathay Pacific - these last two are quite similar in price.

Are there ones I've missed? Anything to avoid at all costs? Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
The Vancouver Hotel Ninh Binh
The Vancouver Hotel Ninh...
458 Reviews
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
6 replies to this topic
Bangalow, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines to choose/avoid

I've done international and domestic with Vietnam Airlines. never had an issue, ..our longest flight is 8 hours. That was Sydney to Ho Chi Minh,

Cathay pacific is also good but I don't know the other airlines,

The worst Ive ever flown is Jetstar,

Mentioned in this post
The Chi Boutique Hotel
The Chi Boutique Hotel
521 Reviews
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi
Level Contributor
896 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines to choose/avoid

Vietnam Airlines is an EXCELLENT one; it is now 12 years that I use it regularly and I have never had a problem. Besides, they have incredibly low promotion prices all the time for domestic flights

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines to choose/avoid

Airplane transportation is just that: transportation. I go with the cheapest that gets me there in the shortest time with the fewest stops.

I've flown Vietnam Airlines from Europe several times, they're fine.

Mentioned in this post
Bowser, Canada
Level Contributor
375 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines to choose/avoid

Callicles,

I have used China Airlines twice from Vancouver, once economy and the other time premium economy. It was a decent flight both times and I will be using them again in September (premium economy).

I have also used China Southern and they were good as well.

As for Vietnam Airlines, I have used them so many times for internal flights and to go from Taipei to Hanoi. They are excellent! They are the only airline I will use in Vietnam and I don’t consider them a budget airline at all. I believe they are the national carrier and equivalent to our Air Canada.

I also prefer the China Airlines for the 0200 am departure time. I find that it cuts down on my jet lag as I arrive in Vietnam mid morning and generally stay up for the day and get my sleep pattern immediately onto SE Asia time.

Oh, I also prefer the layover in Taipei over Guangzhou!

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited: 1:30 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
458 Reviews
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines to choose/avoid

Thanks for the information everybody. I'm not particularly picky, but occasionally an airline really goes out of it's way to be terrible. Lacking familiarity, I thought I'd ask around.

And Troy C, thanks for the info on the Vancouver flight. I thought the departure time would be great for helping out with jet lag too. Good to hear it helped you out.

Mentioned in this post
458 Reviews
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,678 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines to choose/avoid

EVA is the one you want, no question!