We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viettel sim card help

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
12 helpful votes
Viettel sim card help

Long shot here..

I got a viettel simcard under the understanding that I could use the data in cambodia and laos.

Lo and behold I crossed the border into Cambodia after 3 very successful weeks of great coverage and I get the 'emergency calls only' signal.

I gather it's because roaming was not enabled on my sim. Is it possible to turn this on somehow? Keeping in mind I can't even get a signal, and apparently have no sms credit (not sure why) to try and get it enabled.

Wondering whether it would be possible for a kind person still in Vietnam to help me add credit to my number and/or set up roaming?

Might seem a bit frivolous but I'm on a tight budget and had quite a bit of data yet to use and topped up especially for use in the rest of SE Asia.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Viettel sim card help

Are you registered for roaming?

…viettel.vn/customer/service-list/chuyen-vun…

Might want to use https://translate.google.com/ on that :-)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Viettel sim card help

If you don't switch on roaming your data use goes against your normal GSM balance. And that's very expensive. Roaming has nothing (much) to do with the SIM, it's a phone setting. Some carriers have roaming agreements with carriers in other countries. When this is not the case, no setting on your phone will make it function in another country. Some carriers may want you to notify them if you want to use roaming.

Edited: 8:37 am, January 20, 2018
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Viettel sim card help

@Manatdollar, great links! The options seemed promising, unfortunately neither worked for me. I tried registering online by entering my phone number and the captcha code, and just got taken to a hanging white screen repeatedly.

I installed the viettel roaming app, but to register it sends you a registration code via sms, however I don't have roaming unlocked on my sim, so can't receive sms!

I'm not sure what to do from here. I can't call customer service as I speak zero Vietnamese. I am thinking it may require a friendly local to attempt for me?

@Xpat17-not quite the case, many times you need to get your carrier to allow roaming, which is the situation I'm facing now. Except I can't contact my carrier on my registered sim as it hasn't been unlocked for roaming.

My android phone definitely has roaming settings switched on.

Thank you both for your help so far, any more ideas are very welcome!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
11,356 posts
256 reviews
200 helpful votes
4. Re: Viettel sim card help

Unfortunately you have to activate roaming before you have left Vietnam.

Now that you have already left it is no longer possible.

One never assumes anything when travelling. What you thought was automatic wasn't as you have now found out.

The best solution I can offer is take a bus to the Moc Ba land crossing where you can still get coverage without leaving Cambodia and then activate your phone.

Otherwise you have done your money.

Of course you have to now balance the cost of the return bus fare to how much money you have in credit with Viettel.

By the way nobody can do this for you because your phone has to be activated and within Viettel signal coverage.

Edited: 12:56 pm, January 20, 2018
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,956 posts
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Viettel sim card help

Cambodian sims are cheap and you can still use the free wifi. Hardly worth chasing whats left on the Viettel sim.

Reply to: Viettel sim card help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted